Skip to main content

Z is for zzzzz's. MS Awareness Month #WeAreStrongerThanMS

Z is for zzzzz's.                 Witty Funny Quotes By Famous People With Images from www.bmabh.com- If you think you are too small to make a difference, try sleeping with a mosquito. Follow us on pinterest at https://www.pinterest.com/bmabh/ for more awesome quotes.:


Sleep is important in anyone's life. Years ago, doctors prescribed plenty of rest for folks exhibiting symptoms of MS. Do not exercise. Remain stationary. Basically relent to your illness and be a forever slug.

Blah! Phooey! 

Sure, know when to apply the brakes on physical activity, but never stop moving. 

Sleep is another issue, though. I prefer the standard eight hours, but can work well with my usual six to  seven. I am an early rise, though, so my energy is usually zapped by mid afternoon. I know that and I try to schedule the less strenuous (physical and mental) portions of my day around that. 

Fortunately, when I lay my head at the end of the day I am good until the morning alarm; but many folks do not have that luxury. I read more and more about fellow warriors struggling to get their eight (or any) hours. This disrupted sleep can reek absolute havoc on an attempt at normalcy. Several causes of sleep disruption an be controlled without medical assistance. 

If you sometimes imbibe in a bit of vino or a pint or two thinking this will help sleep come, think again. Sure, you might pass out as a result, but sleep is often restless and of a poor quality. Alcohol is not the answer, no matter how much you might argue the point.

Depression/anxiety often keep us away from a pleasant night time experience. I know there is really no humanly possible method of eliminating worries, especially if this is already your pre-disposition, but there are medications and meditations out there. Upon diagnosis I was given a prescription (evidently unending since my neuro seems to feel that it is non-negotiable)  of Zoloft. I have played around with lessening the dose, but I can feel the emotions building when I miss a dose. Other than medical advice I really am not qualified to prescribe treatment, but I do have a few suggestions:
prayer
support/friendship circles
yoga/meditation
a hobby
Basically, have a purpose. Try something new, experiment, seek the joy in life. It really does exist. Do not depend on others to create joy in your life. You are strong. You have MS, yes, but you are a Super Hero with Super Powers. 

Another disruption in sleep may be periodic limb movements (PLM), a condition that causes your limbs to jerk, spasm, or randomly twitch at night. Of course this is gong to disturb you an possibly anybody else in the bed with you (My cat has gotten used to it an d even sometimes enjoys a good round of "catch that invisible mouse".) The common meds prescribed for this are Baclon, Clonazepam, and gabapentin. These are the layperson's names for said substances rather than the fancy names of which I am unaware, but fancy is just sometimes too exhausting. I do not take any of these, although the twitching has become more evident of late. Sometimes a good stretch prior to bed is a good way to ward off later jerking movements. Sometimes the PLM turn in to downright painful spasms like Charlie Horses. Now THAT is not a fun way to be roused from sleep. Talk to your physician if this becomes unbearable.

Corticosteroids can often cause disruptions in sleep patterns, more due to the energy boost hey cause. There are prescriptions out there to counter act these energy blasts while taking the steroid, but it is up to you whether or not you wish to give your body one more pill. I do apologize if this statement is offensive: I am just so tired of drugs. I will shut up now on this topic.

And then, there is the never ending issue of the frequent need to urinate. Referred to as nocturia, the need to pee can  really cut in to a good night's sleep. Your doctor can refer you to a good urologist if things really get uncomfortable, but you can also try a few things on your own. Do not drink anything an hour prior to bed. Avoid bladder irritating liquids such as coffee, alcohol, or soft drinks. 

Of course the first step in being pro-active about sleep disruption is go have a conversation with a medical professional. As with anything else on the planet of MS, experimentation is an essential tool. Play around with plausible solutions and when you find one that gives comfort, go with it. ...and possibly share it with the rest of us.

Well, I would love to talk more about the letter Z...zebras, zoos, zinc, zephyrs, Zanzibar...but my son is home today with his own mysterious health issue. Poor kid, he is getting a zero this allergy season. Because his energy is totally zapped, fear this is something more than allergies, though. So off to the doctor we go today.

Wish us luck. 

Lisa
LisaAnnetteMcCombs@yahoo.com






Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Riding the MS broom

Do you ever feel like the ultimate witchy woman? That is actually a rhetorical question because I know you do. We all do whether we mean it or not. And guess what? We have a right to feel that way. Our brand of broom is a touch one to ride. That is why I truly believe that our supreme master, who ever/whatever that may be, doesn't throw us more than we can catch.

MSers (I read recently that this is an inappropriate way in which to refer to individuals with multiple sclerosis. The source of this judgement obliviously does not live with the disease. MS Warriors are far less offended by such a label than that.) are strong individuals who thrive on finding a purpose, a solution, a balance.

We are dependent on our co-pilot Common Sense. Care Givers are a beautiful addition to our lives, but many MSers (I did it again!) are not fortunate to have someone to clean our broom and dust off the daily spider webs that clutter the  cognitive mess of our brains. I learned that long before MS becam…

Yoga Burn gives new incentive to my morning routine.

I am not one much for online shopping indulgences, but a couple of weeks ago I allowed myself the rare treat of purchasing the Yoga Burn program advertised on Face Book. This morning I completed week one of the monthly scheduled routine and I even took time to meditate under the guidance of Yoga instructor Zoe Bray Cotton.

Laugh if you must, but I really, really, enjoyed the meditation exercise. I realize this is a solitary activity and I will never practice this in front of husband and/or son. 

I felt wonderful afterword, though. So at peace and relaxed. I always knew I was a Zen Goddess at heart.

What I really love about this program is that it "is a comprehensive online yoga course directed toward women only."  The older I get, the more I appreciate anything to do with "for women only". Weird, huh?

Zoe' voice is so very soft and inviting. As she leads me through my morning poses, I really feel as though she is my new morning bestie. Of course, I have only comple…

This Writer's Euphoric Journey

It is November and that means National Novel Writing Month. I participate every year. As always, I am behind on my writing goal for the month: WRITE 50,000 WORDS  IN 30 DAYS. 

With only two days to go, I still need 10,000 to finish. 

So...I will see you here again on Wednesday or at the end of my journey of 50,000 words. Until then, breathe.

Lisa