Skip to main content

WBOY gets involved in MS Awareness Month


Have you ever wished to be famous? To be easily identifiable in public? For that moment when a complete stranger points a finger you way and says, "Hey, I know her. I know you!"


The first time an announcement was heard that I had "entered the building" was from a a cute little third grader in my current Read Aloud classroom. As soon as I walked into the room, the excitement grew. 

""Hey, guys, look! Our readers if here and it's the lady with the cane!"

Yes, my colorful walking sticks do make quite the impression and have, in fact, become my trademark. Twice a month I volunteer to read to a local third grade class as part of our state's Read Aloud program. https://readaloudwestvirginia.orgI am so grateful for this opportunity to stay connected with a classroom since my unplanned early retirement. So, this is a win-win for the classroom teacher and me. 

Ironically the class I was assigned is the same group of youngsters that  I addressed last year at presentation about acceptance. So, this has been a reunion of sorts. And I have become The Lady With the Cane. (Don't be getting any ideas about adopting this title for yourself. This is definitely going to be the title of my next MS book, so hands off.🙌)

The attention given by these young people warm my heart and I get a kick over the competitive interest they take about who will be holder of the cane while I read. It's just the little things in life...

So, yeah, I'm already famous in this little space I call hometown.

But, then the press got involved. For the second year in a row a local television station interviewed me regarding MS Awareness Month. The segment was aired on the early, early, early edition of the morning show, so I actually did not see the original of either viewing (which makes me wonder if anyone else did, since I am an early, early, early riser). But that's not the point. The point is that society is taking an interest. And, yes, I'm kinda famous. Because I spoke. 




Multiple Scleroses Self-Help Group Offering Support in Fairmont

March is Multiple Sclerosis Awareness Month and one area author is using her life with the disease to help others.
Lisa McCombs, who wrote “I have MS. What’s Your Super Power”, has revived an MS self-help group in Marion County.  
They meet the first Thursday of each month at 11:00 .m. at Life United Methodist Church on Mary Lou Retton Drive in Fairmont.  
McCombs says she created the group after becoming a certified facilitator through the National Multiple Sclerosis Society so no one would feel alone in their struggles.
“People are constantly saying ‘oh I know what you’re going through, oh I understand’, but they don’t,” McCombs added. “They couldn’t possibly unless you’re in my shoes you couldn’t understand what MS does to you, your family, your social life and life in general.”
Throughout the month of March McCombs will donate a portion of sales from her book the National Multiple Sclerosis Society.
She also will pay for the shipping of any books ordered through her. You can contact McCombs at LisaAnnetteMcCombs@yahoo.com.
You can also purchase her books at www.headlinebooks.com.
McCombs also writes a MS blog, which can be found at lisa-mccombs.blogspot.com

To view my 15 seconds of fame, click on the link below.
Of course now I use my colorful canes to fight off the paparazzi who gather at my door step when I least expect it. It's horrible. So, be careful what yo wish for. Fame is not all it's cracked up to be.

I will just be happy with being known as the lady with the cane.

Have a great day!
Love and Light,
Lisa






Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Riding the MS broom

Do you ever feel like the ultimate witchy woman? That is actually a rhetorical question because I know you do. We all do whether we mean it or not. And guess what? We have a right to feel that way. Our brand of broom is a touch one to ride. That is why I truly believe that our supreme master, who ever/whatever that may be, doesn't throw us more than we can catch.

MSers (I read recently that this is an inappropriate way in which to refer to individuals with multiple sclerosis. The source of this judgement obliviously does not live with the disease. MS Warriors are far less offended by such a label than that.) are strong individuals who thrive on finding a purpose, a solution, a balance.

We are dependent on our co-pilot Common Sense. Care Givers are a beautiful addition to our lives, but many MSers (I did it again!) are not fortunate to have someone to clean our broom and dust off the daily spider webs that clutter the  cognitive mess of our brains. I learned that long before MS becam…

Yoga Burn gives new incentive to my morning routine.

I am not one much for online shopping indulgences, but a couple of weeks ago I allowed myself the rare treat of purchasing the Yoga Burn program advertised on Face Book. This morning I completed week one of the monthly scheduled routine and I even took time to meditate under the guidance of Yoga instructor Zoe Bray Cotton.

Laugh if you must, but I really, really, enjoyed the meditation exercise. I realize this is a solitary activity and I will never practice this in front of husband and/or son. 

I felt wonderful afterword, though. So at peace and relaxed. I always knew I was a Zen Goddess at heart.

What I really love about this program is that it "is a comprehensive online yoga course directed toward women only."  The older I get, the more I appreciate anything to do with "for women only". Weird, huh?

Zoe' voice is so very soft and inviting. As she leads me through my morning poses, I really feel as though she is my new morning bestie. Of course, I have only comple…

This Writer's Euphoric Journey

It is November and that means National Novel Writing Month. I participate every year. As always, I am behind on my writing goal for the month: WRITE 50,000 WORDS  IN 30 DAYS. 

With only two days to go, I still need 10,000 to finish. 

So...I will see you here again on Wednesday or at the end of my journey of 50,000 words. Until then, breathe.

Lisa