Skip to main content

The P's and Q's of MS #WeAreStrongerThanMS



P is for politics. Yep. This is not my forte nor an active interest of mine, but when it comes to anything of importance there is always a political issue that must be  considered. Earlier this month in West Virginia, the legislature met to discuss relevant issues regarding multiple sclerosis. I had planned to go, but ended up sitting this one out. It was timely, though, with MS Awareness Month beginning. Although I no longer take any recommended MS drug, I do take two Ampyra tablets daily as a walking aid. I have a forty dollar monthly copay on a drug that would normally cost over two thousand dollars a month. Without our governmental support, prescription costs would make it impossible for us to afford the medical treatment we need. So, we need to be interested in how politics affect our MS, even if it is a nasty business.

I have been fortunate with my MS prescription costs due to a (pre-retirement) insurance plan, but I am terrified for those Warriors without the means to obtain necessary treatments; Mainly because it is not always the meds that do the best work toward fighting our symptoms and relieving the pain

Massage is an awesome alternative that is not covered 100% by insurance, but as with exercise classes and physical therapy, it is not considered important enough to be covered by my insurance. 'Tis a shame since these are things that REALLY help me get over the rough spots with MS. And, while congress is hashing over the elements of medical insurance, they need to be aware of these things. So, yeah, it is necessary to be politically aware.

I am not telling you to become a hair burning activist, but the more we reveal the realities of MS treatment, the more awareness will be publicized. I hope.

So...P is also for publicity, which is what MS Awareness Month is all about. I am grateful for this month designated to publicize our cause, but we should draw attention to MS all year long. MS is often a silent disease. Let's make some noise. 

Earlier this month that is exactly what I did with the help of our local news team at WBOY and our county self-help group. Hope we did you proud.

http://www.wvalways.com/story/34652377/multiple-scleroses-self-help-group-offering-support-in-fairmont


Since I did not see this on TV myself and my computer speakers are on vacation, I actually have not viewed this, so criticize all you want. 😉I will never know...

In May I will continue my crusade with a public reading at Morgantown Public Library in Morgantown , West Virginia. I wrote I Have MS. What's Your Super Power? fourteen years after my diagnosis. It took that long to wrap my brain around my situation and want to share my story with "my people". So, if you are in the area on May 17, I will see you at 6:30 and will read at 7:00. Sure, I am excited about maybe selling a few books to support my Ampyra habit, but the prospect of meeting other Warriors and discussing MS is even more thrilling to me. Mark it down on your social calendar. I will see you there!

Since we are on the all important letter P, let me share this silly little activity I found on Face Book. It is really kinda cool. You just click on the link and follow the directions to post an awesome portrait of yourself. So P is for post your picture. Celebrate yourself. When you do, share your work with the rest of us!








https://en.nametests.com/test/result/lisa/ps_6392085663/

For the letter P, also mind your Q's as well. Question, question, question. We will not receive answers until we pose the question. Although  I trust medical science, I have learned to trust my gut maybe a bit more. Our bodies talk to us if we listen.

Q is also for quiet time. For reflection, for knitting, for reading, for meditation, or for prayer: This is so important. We owe it to ourselves to spend some quiet time to just breathe. After you busy yourself making noise about the MonSter for the public, balance that with quiet  time for yourself.

Love and Light,
Lisa

LisaAnnetteMcCombs@yahoo.com
Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Riding the MS broom

Do you ever feel like the ultimate witchy woman? That is actually a rhetorical question because I know you do. We all do whether we mean it or not. And guess what? We have a right to feel that way. Our brand of broom is a touch one to ride. That is why I truly believe that our supreme master, who ever/whatever that may be, doesn't throw us more than we can catch.

MSers (I read recently that this is an inappropriate way in which to refer to individuals with multiple sclerosis. The source of this judgement obliviously does not live with the disease. MS Warriors are far less offended by such a label than that.) are strong individuals who thrive on finding a purpose, a solution, a balance.

We are dependent on our co-pilot Common Sense. Care Givers are a beautiful addition to our lives, but many MSers (I did it again!) are not fortunate to have someone to clean our broom and dust off the daily spider webs that clutter the  cognitive mess of our brains. I learned that long before MS becam…

Yoga Burn gives new incentive to my morning routine.

I am not one much for online shopping indulgences, but a couple of weeks ago I allowed myself the rare treat of purchasing the Yoga Burn program advertised on Face Book. This morning I completed week one of the monthly scheduled routine and I even took time to meditate under the guidance of Yoga instructor Zoe Bray Cotton.

Laugh if you must, but I really, really, enjoyed the meditation exercise. I realize this is a solitary activity and I will never practice this in front of husband and/or son. 

I felt wonderful afterword, though. So at peace and relaxed. I always knew I was a Zen Goddess at heart.

What I really love about this program is that it "is a comprehensive online yoga course directed toward women only."  The older I get, the more I appreciate anything to do with "for women only". Weird, huh?

Zoe' voice is so very soft and inviting. As she leads me through my morning poses, I really feel as though she is my new morning bestie. Of course, I have only comple…

This Writer's Euphoric Journey

It is November and that means National Novel Writing Month. I participate every year. As always, I am behind on my writing goal for the month: WRITE 50,000 WORDS  IN 30 DAYS. 

With only two days to go, I still need 10,000 to finish. 

So...I will see you here again on Wednesday or at the end of my journey of 50,000 words. Until then, breathe.

Lisa