Skip to main content

#MSWarrior #DoNotGiveUp #WeAreStrongerThanMS

 Social Media has done so many wonderful things for us  humans in need of ways to communicate across the country and the world. Until only recently I would not (more accurately, could not) turn on a computer and now this is what I do every single day. There is so much information out there and it is literally right at your finger tips.

With information, there is knowledge. Knowledge is good. Unfortunately, with knowledge there is also danger. We must learn to sort through the good knowledge and the bad information.

With my son's recent diagnosis of mononucleosis, he has spent time investigating his condition in an attempt to recover as quickly as possible.  The more he reads, the further into a funk he sinks. His biggest concern is for the health of his spleen. Go ahead and laugh. We, too, have had  few good giggles over the issue. But, really, thinking back to my teen years, this truly would be a huge concern. The unknown. 

Although mono is pretty much a life-sentence, things could be worse. But, I do not wish to share my own fears, so I must downplay his illness and move on. I know MS is not hereditary. It is not contagious. There is no reason to think that my disease will become his; but, I will admit that if mono is all he has to deal with in the disease compartment, I am relieved.

Since he has lived with the existence of his mother's disease all his life, he really doesn't know any other lifestyle than what has been given me; so making a big deal out of mono doesn't seem to disturb him too awfully much. I am grateful for his attitude, but am all too aware of his need to return to school. While doing my own investigations, I have found so many conflicting views on the issue at hand. Some people report an extended leave from school or work...weeks, maybe months. The doctor told us to play it by ear and come back next week for a follow up exam. This does not alleviate our anxiety one tiny bit, but at least there is a light at the end of the tunnel. MS does not extend that free pass.

My son is extremely driven academically and really, really does not enjoy this mandatory stent of playing hooky. He is dealing with it fairly well, though.  I am not so superior as a parent to believe that this is a result of excellent mommy skills. 

BUT...

I cannot ignore the reality that I have some how provided a positive example of tolerating what cannot be controlled.

This does not excuse the fact that we both want him to return to school, but the existence of his mature demeanor does soften the reality of the situation. So, I am proud of that.

I do not want him to worry about his spleen, though. And I do not want him to worry about developing multiple sclerosis. And I do not want him to worry about this mother. So, during this time-out, I will enthusiastically encourage video games rather than informational research. Sometimes we just do not need to know, right?

Since Boone was only six months old when I was diagnosed, there was really no need to explain a lot of things about MS. He became infatuated with my Beta Seron how-to videos and has always been quite impressed with his  mother's ability to stick a needle in a variety of body parts with out flinching. I think he was truly disappointed when I no longer self-injected. Now he just worries about me staying up right or how MS might affect the evening menu. And, for now, that is all he needs to worry about. 

Teen years go by so quickly. 

If you have children, how do you approach your disease? Is there open dialogue around the dinner table? Are your children comfortable discussing MS? 

I am really interested in knowing the answers to these questions. MS is not all about the person suffering with the MonSter. MS includes all members of a family.

As MS Awareness Month draws to a close, it is important to remember this. Offer to prepare a meal or invite children out for the special events. 

Love and Light,
Lisa

                                                                                                           
Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Riding the MS broom

Do you ever feel like the ultimate witchy woman? That is actually a rhetorical question because I know you do. We all do whether we mean it or not. And guess what? We have a right to feel that way. Our brand of broom is a touch one to ride. That is why I truly believe that our supreme master, who ever/whatever that may be, doesn't throw us more than we can catch.

MSers (I read recently that this is an inappropriate way in which to refer to individuals with multiple sclerosis. The source of this judgement obliviously does not live with the disease. MS Warriors are far less offended by such a label than that.) are strong individuals who thrive on finding a purpose, a solution, a balance.

We are dependent on our co-pilot Common Sense. Care Givers are a beautiful addition to our lives, but many MSers (I did it again!) are not fortunate to have someone to clean our broom and dust off the daily spider webs that clutter the  cognitive mess of our brains. I learned that long before MS becam…

Yoga Burn gives new incentive to my morning routine.

I am not one much for online shopping indulgences, but a couple of weeks ago I allowed myself the rare treat of purchasing the Yoga Burn program advertised on Face Book. This morning I completed week one of the monthly scheduled routine and I even took time to meditate under the guidance of Yoga instructor Zoe Bray Cotton.

Laugh if you must, but I really, really, enjoyed the meditation exercise. I realize this is a solitary activity and I will never practice this in front of husband and/or son. 

I felt wonderful afterword, though. So at peace and relaxed. I always knew I was a Zen Goddess at heart.

What I really love about this program is that it "is a comprehensive online yoga course directed toward women only."  The older I get, the more I appreciate anything to do with "for women only". Weird, huh?

Zoe' voice is so very soft and inviting. As she leads me through my morning poses, I really feel as though she is my new morning bestie. Of course, I have only comple…

This Writer's Euphoric Journey

It is November and that means National Novel Writing Month. I participate every year. As always, I am behind on my writing goal for the month: WRITE 50,000 WORDS  IN 30 DAYS. 

With only two days to go, I still need 10,000 to finish. 

So...I will see you here again on Wednesday or at the end of my journey of 50,000 words. Until then, breathe.

Lisa