Skip to main content

M is for Milk: MS Awareness Month


No automatic alt text available.


M  is for milk. No, not really. That was just a cheap way to discuss vitamin D. 

Evidently multiple sclerosis occurs with a deficiency  of Vitamin D, which sunlight (not cows) provides. Well, guess what? Not to start a horrible medical debate, but I grew up in the sun. As a long time lifeguard, my biggest concern should really be skin cancer, not MS. I do notice a difference in my daily symptoms when I remember to consume a vitamin D supplement, so I will not question the advice of the experts.

do have a question regarding vitamin D, though. What is the actual prescribed dosage? I have had so many conflicting answers and am still not clear on whether or not I need to take an additional supplement above and beyond my daily multiple vitamin.

And lookie what I found on the internet...

How to Choose the Right Vitamin D Supplement

I hope I've made the case as to why it's critical to take supplemental vitamin D3. However, many people make the mistake of just taking whatever is on the shelf of their local drugstore. 

You need to know what to look for to avoid getting ripped off and to ensure that you're providing your body with the vitamin D it needs to keep your levels optimal. 

Here are my 4 tips to ensure that you're getting the best vitamin D possible: 

1.The D3 form: Make sure you're taking a supplement made with 100% natural D3 which has been shown to be the safest, most absorbable and most effective form of vitamin D.[18,19] Avoid at all costs the synthetic D2 form which is often found in fortified dairy products and other foods and inferior supplements.
2.The highly-recommended 5,000 IU dose: The US RDA of 600 IU is pathetically low. Some leading experts are now saying that adults need 5,000 IU of vitamin D daily for optimal benefits.[16] I recommend a supplement that provides this dosage in one small, easy-to-swallow pill, to make it easy and convenient to take every day.
3.A non-GMO safflower oil base: Some vitamin D supplements are made with a low quality soy oil base, and there is no guarantee that this oil is free of toxins or is non-GMO. Instead, look for a supplement that is made with a base of pure safflower oil which, as an added bonus, contains healthy antioxidants that also help to preserve freshness.[20]
4.A fair price: Vitamin D3 supplements should never cost more than $15 for a one-month supply — even for a high dose 5,000 IU supplement. Some companies hype up their "quality" and charge more than double this. Don't fall for it!
https://www.stopagingnow.com/dpure159/?gclid=CjwKEAjwzKPGBRCS55Oe46q9hCkSJAAMvVuM5OqzTaTYM7LZuZ0aGWvMtGW0CFXQkJYblTH9OoOxbxoCkZrw_wcB


My second question in reference to vitamin D is WHY did y neurologist never mention the importance of this supplement to me? WHY did I have to eventually need to do my own research on the matter? In fact, I seem to be doing A LOT of the leg work investigating my own disease. Do you also find this to be true? Rather discouraging, isn't it?

If you've ever gone to your doctor with a list of vague complaints such as these, there's a good chance you've been told "it's just a part of aging" and there's not much you can do about it. 

But what if I told you that these issues, along with many other "age-related" health complaints, could merely be symptoms of a common vitamin deficiency?[1,2,3] And that this deficiency can be corrected quickly, easily and inexpensively — making it possible to rejuvenate your health while vastly improving your well being.* 

Common Signs of
Vitamin D Deficiency*
    Aches and pains
    Low energy
    Brain fog
    Mood fluctuations
    Sleep disturbances
The deficiency I'm talking about is vitamin D — and before you stop reading because you're sure that you're getting enough, please consider this: Roughly 3 in 4 people in the United States have low levels of vitamin D.[4] 

https://www.stopagingnow.com/dpure159/?gclid=CjwKEAjwzKPGBRCS55Oe46q9hCkSJAAMvVuM5OqzTaTYM7LZuZ0aGWvMtGW0CFXQkJYblTH9OoOxbxoCkZrw_wcB


Recently I was introduced to the Wahl's Protocol, in which I am discovering so many answers to so many questions I either had or needed to have. I have only read about a third of the book, so I will hold my review until the conclusion of the month; but, so far, I am totally impressed. Dr Wahl's has inspired me to branch out on my search for answers; mainly because it seems to be up to me to weed through all the rigmarole in order to find my answers. I suppose that's fine. It keeps my mind too busy to fester on  my assortment of aches, pains, and fears associated MS.

And I am doing some leg work for you.

What are your thoughts and findings about vitamin D?

Love and Light,
Lisa










Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Riding the MS broom

Do you ever feel like the ultimate witchy woman? That is actually a rhetorical question because I know you do. We all do whether we mean it or not. And guess what? We have a right to feel that way. Our brand of broom is a touch one to ride. That is why I truly believe that our supreme master, who ever/whatever that may be, doesn't throw us more than we can catch.

MSers (I read recently that this is an inappropriate way in which to refer to individuals with multiple sclerosis. The source of this judgement obliviously does not live with the disease. MS Warriors are far less offended by such a label than that.) are strong individuals who thrive on finding a purpose, a solution, a balance.

We are dependent on our co-pilot Common Sense. Care Givers are a beautiful addition to our lives, but many MSers (I did it again!) are not fortunate to have someone to clean our broom and dust off the daily spider webs that clutter the  cognitive mess of our brains. I learned that long before MS becam…

Yoga Burn gives new incentive to my morning routine.

I am not one much for online shopping indulgences, but a couple of weeks ago I allowed myself the rare treat of purchasing the Yoga Burn program advertised on Face Book. This morning I completed week one of the monthly scheduled routine and I even took time to meditate under the guidance of Yoga instructor Zoe Bray Cotton.

Laugh if you must, but I really, really, enjoyed the meditation exercise. I realize this is a solitary activity and I will never practice this in front of husband and/or son. 

I felt wonderful afterword, though. So at peace and relaxed. I always knew I was a Zen Goddess at heart.

What I really love about this program is that it "is a comprehensive online yoga course directed toward women only."  The older I get, the more I appreciate anything to do with "for women only". Weird, huh?

Zoe' voice is so very soft and inviting. As she leads me through my morning poses, I really feel as though she is my new morning bestie. Of course, I have only comple…

This Writer's Euphoric Journey

It is November and that means National Novel Writing Month. I participate every year. As always, I am behind on my writing goal for the month: WRITE 50,000 WORDS  IN 30 DAYS. 

With only two days to go, I still need 10,000 to finish. 

So...I will see you here again on Wednesday or at the end of my journey of 50,000 words. Until then, breathe.

Lisa