Google+ Followers

Tuesday, March 14, 2017

L is for liking yourself. MS Awareness Month

“Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius and it's better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring.” 
― Marilyn Monroe


 MS does not define you. You are still YOU. Diagnosis has made some alterations, hopefully in order to make you stronger. Maybe it is your opportunity to right some wrongs. Maybe it is a weird kind of second chance. I know that my diagnosis has served as a wake-up call; especially since it occurred six months after the birth of my only child. I often tell my son that his birth saved my life. Without him, I probably would have allowed D (diagnosis)  Day to fully destroy me. It was a dark time in my life anyway, so this news of MS probably would have been the push in an existent downward spiral.

So, sixteen years ago, as I learned to walk again, I also learned how to like myself. I became a much stronger individual. I made some very necessary live-changing decisions that altered the course of life for my son and me. I do not necessarily want to that God for giving me MS, but I thank Him every day for the direction my diagnosis has lead me.

I kinda learned to like myself, MS and all.

L is for liking yourself.   MS does NOT define you. We have no control over God's plan for us, but He has given us the means to do with His work what we can. Because you have MS (or cancer, or heart disease, or any other condition) doesn't mean that you belong in God's trash bin. 

You are not flawed. You are special...no, extra-special.

 I feel that He chose me for this challenge because He knew I could handle it. 

I am stronger because of my MS. I learn something new about the disease every day. I appreciate life more fully and my priorities all center around my family, where once it was all about me, me, me. I am constantly experiencing new things and meeting wonderful people I would otherwise never know. I have totally re-connected with best-est friend ever (Hi, Jodi!) and have eliminated harmful/negative relationships. 

No, MS has not been good for me, but because of it, I see things differently. And, I am finally beginning to kinda like the me I have become.

Are you sick of hearing about the awesomeness of me? 

Gotcha. 

Now it is your turn. What has MS done for you, not to you?

It is a deep question, right?

Looking forward to your response,
Lisa





Post a Comment