Google+ Followers

Saturday, March 4, 2017

B is for Balance: MS Awareness Month



Image result for the letter bis for balance.

Balance is defined as " 1. garder/perdre l'equiibre 2. contepoids 3...."

Oops. If your native language is French, this may work for you. (Why are all of the dictionaries on the book shelf red? Oh, and where are my glasses?) Regardless of your verbal preference, balance is an issue in life; whether we are talking about tight rope walking, checkbooks, your diet, prescription consumption, relationships, or regulating your daily activities.

Learning how to accommodate all the requirements of living with MonSter is often (okay, always) a huge challenge. Of course, that is where I invite my good friend Common Sense to take over. In the perfect world that wold be enough, but good ol' CS isn't always around.

Kind of like me last night. I knew better than to have that second glass of wine, but did I listen? Nooooooo. So, this post is a wee bit later than normal; all because I sent my good pal Common Sense to bed without me. But guess what? Today is Saturday. And it is my birthday. So that extra two hours of sleep is, I guess, my gift to myself. Regardless of not listening to CS about glass number two.

But I found  a balance between my Friday night indulgence and Saturday morning rest. You may say I am justifying my actions. You are correct, but I feel better for getting it all out there.

Probably one of the biggest issues with balance in a Warriors life are caused by lesions in the cerebellum and are not treated with prescription meds. (Although, I have learned first hand that Ampyra is truly helping me in that department.) 

Staying clear of chemicals...I also have found that stretching, yoga, being aware of slippery surfaces, using walls and furniture. All (at least they should) exercise professionals will tell you that the body's "core" controls a lot of balance issues. My dad even uses core exercises and focus tips when teaching golf. 

The "core" is essential in all things physical; so, why not concentrate on getting to the "core" of matter when adjusting your life style to living with the MonSter?

Learning how to adjust your activities to a accommodate multiple sclerosis can be and is truly a work out, both physical and mental. Listen to your body. Welcome Common Sense into your life. Study the yin and the yang of living a happy lifestyle. You are in control. You have heard it before. Say it with me. MS does not define me.
Image result #WeareStrongerthanMS

Meditate, pray, talk it out with your cat, but above all find balance, both physical and mentally.

No one promised an easy road. Living with Multiple Sclerosis is hard work. (I know, I know...preaching to the choir.) 


Passez une bonne journée! 
Until tomorrow,
Lisa

http://www.nationalmssociety.org/Get-Involved/Raise-Awareness













Post a Comment