Skip to main content

Ouch! So this is pain of MS?


Comic text sound effects pop art vector style. Sound bubble speech word cartoon expression sounds illustration. Lettering Ouch discomfort. Comics book background template.
Since my diagnosis in 2001, I have read repeatedly about the physical pain associated with multiple sclerosis. Call it naivete, call it stupidity, call if just could fortune, but I never knew what that meant. The only physical pain I could identity with was the result of a fall. My parts just didn't hurt otherwise. 

I guess it took sixteen years, or maybe it is my advanced age, but the physical pain has finally caught up. For several weeks I have suffered off and on from a weird burning sensation of the "woman" parts. No, it is not an infection, and no, I so not have any sort of communicable disease. Sure, it could have something to do with post menopause or the fact that my body recognizes my true age even if my mind does not. It is really weird. The best way for me to find relief is to not wear undergarments or tight pants. It (the discomfort) hangs around for a few days, and then, just as quickly, is gone. I really do believe that it due to highly sensitive nerve endings. And that is a result of MS, right?

For about as long as this very intimate ailment has existed, my legs have complained daily and are fraught with sever cramping and debilitating spasticity (Did you know that this word is not recognized by spellcheck or in the dictionary? Why do I find this so appropriate for this undefinable disease that I have?). My toes curl up and my feet ache. It is horrible, besides being just downright inconvenient. Granted, I do not exercise as I probably should, but I try to stretch and do a bit of yoga every day to relieve signs of physical stress. It just doesn't seem to be enough.

And I am tired. Really tired. I just do not want to do much of anything. My daily multivitamin with an extra boost of iron helps, but not always. I hate it when my favorite time of day is bed time. And that is what it has become. I am great in the morning, super great; full of vim and vigor. After my son leaves for school, I fire up my computer to accomplish a full day's amount of work. I review books, answer e-mail, do some writing, and sometimes even fit in a FB game or two (That is dangerous diversion, though.) I clean before 9AM, pay bills, make lists, and basically plan the rest of the day. By lunch time,I have accomplished more than more people in a day. And I take my time about it, so do not assume I wear myself out. It is just that my energy level is on fire when the day is just awaking. But, when I am finished, I am literally d-o-n-e: physically, emotionally, and mentally.
[Okay, so this really doesn't sound like I am that tired at all, does it?
The crash comes later. And when it occurs, all I want to to do is be left alone. I could be ready for bed by 9PM and would seriously do just that if not for the many responsibilities of being a parent and a wife.]

Other than an attempt at yoga and stretching, my fight against the pain has been the beautiful high dose of ibuprofen to which I succumb all too frequently of late. I do not like my relationship with this pain pill; but, when essential oils, exercise, and herbal tea does not work, I have no other recourse.

What do you do to combat this annoying pain and fatigue? I cannot afford the expense of a monthly massage (although that is a lovely way to spend money), so that is out. So, do not suggest what I know to be a sincerely wonderful addition to the anecdote list.

What do you do?

I am anxious to hear from you on this fine pre-season spring day in West Virginia.

Love and Light,
Lisa
Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Riding the MS broom

Do you ever feel like the ultimate witchy woman? That is actually a rhetorical question because I know you do. We all do whether we mean it or not. And guess what? We have a right to feel that way. Our brand of broom is a touch one to ride. That is why I truly believe that our supreme master, who ever/whatever that may be, doesn't throw us more than we can catch.

MSers (I read recently that this is an inappropriate way in which to refer to individuals with multiple sclerosis. The source of this judgement obliviously does not live with the disease. MS Warriors are far less offended by such a label than that.) are strong individuals who thrive on finding a purpose, a solution, a balance.

We are dependent on our co-pilot Common Sense. Care Givers are a beautiful addition to our lives, but many MSers (I did it again!) are not fortunate to have someone to clean our broom and dust off the daily spider webs that clutter the  cognitive mess of our brains. I learned that long before MS becam…

Yoga Burn gives new incentive to my morning routine.

I am not one much for online shopping indulgences, but a couple of weeks ago I allowed myself the rare treat of purchasing the Yoga Burn program advertised on Face Book. This morning I completed week one of the monthly scheduled routine and I even took time to meditate under the guidance of Yoga instructor Zoe Bray Cotton.

Laugh if you must, but I really, really, enjoyed the meditation exercise. I realize this is a solitary activity and I will never practice this in front of husband and/or son. 

I felt wonderful afterword, though. So at peace and relaxed. I always knew I was a Zen Goddess at heart.

What I really love about this program is that it "is a comprehensive online yoga course directed toward women only."  The older I get, the more I appreciate anything to do with "for women only". Weird, huh?

Zoe' voice is so very soft and inviting. As she leads me through my morning poses, I really feel as though she is my new morning bestie. Of course, I have only comple…

This Writer's Euphoric Journey

It is November and that means National Novel Writing Month. I participate every year. As always, I am behind on my writing goal for the month: WRITE 50,000 WORDS  IN 30 DAYS. 

With only two days to go, I still need 10,000 to finish. 

So...I will see you here again on Wednesday or at the end of my journey of 50,000 words. Until then, breathe.

Lisa