Skip to main content

Are you tired? Me, too, but I plan to stop.



As part of our “In A Word” series we recently asked the MultipleSclerosis.net Facebook community to complete the following statement: “In a word, my most frustrating MS symptom is______”.
https://multiplesclerosis.net/living-with-ms/fatigue-worst-ms-symptom/

And the answer is...fatigue.


In Lisa Emrich's article, found in the link below, she discusses her trials with MS fatigue and even questions whether or not her fatigue is actually MS-related.

Fatigue never issued into my MS until I  retired from teaching. This makes very little sense to me, since I now have more time to take care of myself and find daily space for rest and restful activity. In the past year (2016) though, I discovered that I truly am tired. every. day.

https://multiplesclerosis.net/living-with-ms/living-well-with-ms-battling-fatigue/

For the new year, I have decided (whether my legs agree or not) that I WILL NOT waste time being tired. How will I do this? Ummmm...

Well today I am meeting a former student for coffee and a little "book" talk. This will get me out of the house and in the fresh (cold) air. It will be a small trip, but good for me. The unfortunate truth is that winter days can bring us down sometime. It is cold outside, the sky is dreary, and it is just too temping to huddle under a blanket and veg the day away. This outing will force me to wash my hair:) Since I like schedules, I have planned to do my vegging tomorrow, after a few little house keeping chores.

For the past few weeks I have been driving my mother to her Wednesday bowling date. I have really enjoyed hanging out with her bowling buddies and I am learning a bit about the sport. Well, I am going to learn BIG TIME this week because I think I going to finish out the season as the biggest handicap bowler in the league. It is a commitment, I know; but relatively short time since it all ends in April. It is a new experience, though, and I like adding to my collection of experiences. I am master of none, but I am truly an eclectic.

Moving on to Thursday: The weather promises to be 60 degrees and the perfect day for a road trip. My gal pal and I are going to take full advantage of the day with a journey to one of our favorite places: Yarn and Company in Elkins, WV. Yep. We are doing the big trip to the beautiful mountainous region of our state. We will shop, eat lunch, knit, and catch up on these last few months of best-ie deprivation. It will be great and I am looking totally forward to it. I am also totally worn out thinking about it, but this trip is necessary for my spirit more than anything else.

I will devote Friday to recovery and prepare myself for Saturday's book signing at Craft Connection in Fairmont. If you are close by, stop by and visit me and my writing buddy Diana Walker. We can assure you some great stories and an opportunity to obtain one (or more) of our award winning Headline Books.

Sounds like I am going to be a busy beaver this week. But I think I have paced my activities so that I have not over whelmed myself. That is the key. Pacing ourselves but keeping physically and mentally active.

So take some time for yourself this week, but do not forget to live.

Lisa





Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Riding the MS broom

Do you ever feel like the ultimate witchy woman? That is actually a rhetorical question because I know you do. We all do whether we mean it or not. And guess what? We have a right to feel that way. Our brand of broom is a touch one to ride. That is why I truly believe that our supreme master, who ever/whatever that may be, doesn't throw us more than we can catch.

MSers (I read recently that this is an inappropriate way in which to refer to individuals with multiple sclerosis. The source of this judgement obliviously does not live with the disease. MS Warriors are far less offended by such a label than that.) are strong individuals who thrive on finding a purpose, a solution, a balance.

We are dependent on our co-pilot Common Sense. Care Givers are a beautiful addition to our lives, but many MSers (I did it again!) are not fortunate to have someone to clean our broom and dust off the daily spider webs that clutter the  cognitive mess of our brains. I learned that long before MS becam…

Yoga Burn gives new incentive to my morning routine.

I am not one much for online shopping indulgences, but a couple of weeks ago I allowed myself the rare treat of purchasing the Yoga Burn program advertised on Face Book. This morning I completed week one of the monthly scheduled routine and I even took time to meditate under the guidance of Yoga instructor Zoe Bray Cotton.

Laugh if you must, but I really, really, enjoyed the meditation exercise. I realize this is a solitary activity and I will never practice this in front of husband and/or son. 

I felt wonderful afterword, though. So at peace and relaxed. I always knew I was a Zen Goddess at heart.

What I really love about this program is that it "is a comprehensive online yoga course directed toward women only."  The older I get, the more I appreciate anything to do with "for women only". Weird, huh?

Zoe' voice is so very soft and inviting. As she leads me through my morning poses, I really feel as though she is my new morning bestie. Of course, I have only comple…

This Writer's Euphoric Journey

It is November and that means National Novel Writing Month. I participate every year. As always, I am behind on my writing goal for the month: WRITE 50,000 WORDS  IN 30 DAYS. 

With only two days to go, I still need 10,000 to finish. 

So...I will see you here again on Wednesday or at the end of my journey of 50,000 words. Until then, breathe.

Lisa