Google+ Followers

Wednesday, August 3, 2016

WARNING: I might wear purple today.


Inspiration Line Online Magazine - Warning, When I'm an Old Woman, I Shall Wear Purple


When I am an old woman, I shall wear purple
With a red hat which doesn't go, and doesn't suit me.
And I shall spend my pension on brandy and summer gloves
And satin sandals, and say we've no money for butter.
I shall sit down on the pavement when I'm tired
And gobble up samples in shops and press alarm bells
And run my stick along the public railings
And make up for the sobriety of my youth.
I shall go out in my slippers in the rain
And pick the flowers in other peoples' gardens
And learn to spit.
You can wear terrible shirts and grow more fat
And eat three pounds of sausages at a go
Or only bread and pickles for a week
And hoard pens and pencils and beermats and things in boxes.
But now we must have clothes that keep us dry
And pay our rent and not swear in the street
And set a good example for the children.
We must have friends to dinner and read the papers.
But maybe I ought to practise a little now?
So people who know me are not too shocked and surprised
When suddenly I am old, and start to wear purple.




ttp://www.timegoesby.net/weblog/2014/08/when-im-an-old-lady.html

http://www.wheniamanoldwoman.com/pages/348544/index.

://www.poemhunter.com/poem/warning/


Most of my life I have not been a fan of this particular color, especially that loud jewel-tone shade.

When I began my teaching career, the department head introduced me to this poem. It suited her. She wasn't old, but her conviction was strong. She believed that it was her "right" to behave outrageously in public when she met her elderly self. Thank you, Fern, for driving this point home.

Ironically, Fern somehow knows my Aunt Katie...who loves the color purple. Aunt Katie also is not old, but purple suits her as well. Her purple is soft and gentle, as soothing as her demeanor.

In the last few years I have found myself incorporating purplish hues into my home decor. Remember that I do NOT like the bold purples. When I redecorated my kitchen, I surprised myself  (and my husband) my paint choice. The theme of the the kitchen is now very French Wine Country with lots of lavender and sage accents.

I am even entertaining the idea of chock painting the shelves in the main bathroom in a soft lavender.

What is going on? I do not wear purple. In fact, purple looks awful on me.

But I have grown very fond of the color palette: burgundy, lavender, eggplant, lilac...

This poem is not necessarily about the color. 

Both Fern and Aunt Katie are retired school teachers. Strong women who had  a powerful impact on the lives of thousands of young people over the years. It is their legacy to wear purple. It is their right to warn the public that their legacy is timeless.

Although this poem has nothing really to do with the color purple nor with Multiple Sclerosis, it is representative of all that we do as women to earn our "stripes" in life. We are strong. We will survive. We are independent individuals who have made a mark on society and deserve to bask in our purple  existence.

Just as my MS does not define me, neither do my choices in life. I have made many mistakes, and I am probably not finished. I often think that I am lucky to have lived this long with some of the decisions I have made in life. In my middle-age years, I realize that my life  has been full of defining moments that have molded the me I am today. So what if I have MS. It's just another  chapter in my life.

Just like this "purple" chapter, I have endured; and I will continue to do so.

I hope my husband doesn't mind the new paint in the bathroom. He might not even notice since he's a male:) But I plan to enjoy it. THAT'S  a female privilege.

Today, celebrate the person you are.

Lisa





Post a Comment