Skip to main content

MS does not remit. Or does it?.











So, the big controversy in MS is whether or not RRMS is an accurate title for my brand of the MonSter. Technically, there is no appropriate title for any form of MS, but I kind of like the hope that relapsing-remitting brings to mind.

Acording to Dr. Payticia Coyle, Founder and Director of Stony Brook MS Comprehensive Care Center, "MS does not remit and the out dated term causes many people to delay taking medication,"

I understand the logic behind her explanation, offered in the the link below' but I fear that changing the name offers a less positive aspect to a horribly negative disease. Sometimes in life, we just have to color the truth a bit. It's a psych game, I know, but we do what we gotta do.

The proposition is to eliminate the word remitting from the title or RRMS. So, now I have relapsing MS. 

Nothing hopeful about that.

In a world of negativity and despair, we need all the positive we can find. No, I do not want to be lied to (our Presidential nominees do enough of that), but I would like hang on to the hope that MS is not my forever friend. Why can't we label the MonSter like our favorite wing sauce? If that is the case, I would order up Mild on a good day. 

I know it sound silly, but at least it creates images of culinary distraction.

Read the article and make your own decisions. Maybe I am over-reacting. Or maybe I am just sensitive to the possibility of yet another part of me being deleted. MS does that to me every day, Deletes something. RRMS has been a recognized part of my life since 2001 and I have finally come to terms with that part of my character development. To change that label would be like changing my eye color.

https://multiplesclerosisnewstoday.com/…/ms-not-remit-call…/


One thing about research and discovery is that we continue to research and discover. And it's not all negative.

Check out this blog. When Ian's disabilty deemed him incapable of working, he found a place for his positive spirit. Now, if that is not remitting, I don't know the definition of the word.
www.50shadesofsuwww.50shadesofsun.comn.com

Since we're on the topic of positive, remitting forces...Guess what today is?
                                                              


Ampyra 8:14 is back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I changed insurance companies (actually reclaimed my PEIA membership status) and I can now afford this wonderful drug again. 

So, we just experienced day one (again) together. 

Well, I must ready myself for the day. I might even buy myself a new knitting needle to celebrate!

Stay cool out there,
Lisa
Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

MS Awareness Month: The Letter K

K is for keeping up with Jones's. 
Get rid of this philosophy RIGHT NOW. You are special. You are unique. You are a Warrior. You are a Super Star. MS does not define you. 

We have enough on our plates without worrying about without the rest of the coming and goings in our neighborhood, church, community, family. So what if Bubba got a new ski boat or Nibby Neighbor Nancy is planning - loudly - her spring cruise. I celebrate daily getting out of bed. No, I am not downplaying the excitement surrounding these happy moments in the lives of those folks we know. As MS Warriors, we sometimes need to remember that life hold more bonuses than money can buy.

This morning I am reminded that spring is on its way. Sure, I saw the news and I am well aware of the snow storm that promises to pelt our country in a few hours. I am ready. Milk in the fridge. Bread in the pantry. Flashlights battered up. But, behind that storm is spring and my favorite scent of all times: lilac. Don't ya just love t…

The N of MS.

N is for not allowing MS to win. This easy. Refer to A-M and O-Z.

As MS Warriors it is our job, our responsibility, and our mission to provide information, support, insight, and understanding to this ridiculous disease. 

http://www.nationalmssociety.org/wearestrongerthanms

#WeAreStrongerThanMS

When I say we need to provide information, I am not just talking about clinical research and statistics. If you are living with MS or are close to someone with the MonSter, you have more information than can be found on the internet. YOU are the expert. YOU are the prime resource for what's what in this crazy land of MS. You experience(s) is invaluable.

Supporting the fight against MS wears many hats. Sure, you can make a monetary donation, but that is not always feasible in this tight-budget minded world. I am definitely preaching to the choir here. As a retired school teacher, I am facing quite a few unplanned expenses. No, money is not the only way, or necessarily the best way to offer assist…

This Writer's Euphoric Journey

It is November and that means National Novel Writing Month. I participate every year. As always, I am behind on my writing goal for the month: WRITE 50,000 WORDS  IN 30 DAYS. 

With only two days to go, I still need 10,000 to finish. 

So...I will see you here again on Wednesday or at the end of my journey of 50,000 words. Until then, breathe.

Lisa