Skip to main content

You are amazing!

Image result for random acts of kindness images


I've been thinking a lot about attitude lately. Not just my own, but that of others. When I first fell ill (like the old folks say), there was much concern surrounding my situation. Because a diagnosis was not immediately confirmed, speculation grew as to the possibility of a stroke. It made sense. I could not walk; the entire right side of my face was drawn up; and my speech was severely impaired. Stroke fit the bill and was something people understood.

People literally came out of the wood work to help my family.

The few visitors I had while in the hospital brought a wealth of advice and suggestions about what to do when I got home. Their stories of advice only make me shudder now. Note to self: NEVER offer a hospitalized individual un-requested advice on ANY thing. 'Cause it is un-requested. Duh...

But they meant well.

Before being released from that first (and only, knock on wood) hospital stay, a stroke was checked off the possibility list and I silently exhaled a HUGE sigh of relief. Even with a non-diagnosis, I knew that "stroke" was not something I wanted to hear. The little I knew about that condition was not favorable.

Little did I know what lurked amidst the shadows of my newly appointed doctor's lair.

"We want to run some tests to confirm, or rule out, MS," they said.

"Okay, fine. What are the tests and, more importantly, what is MS?" was my reply. 

The second part of that question only brought about cryptic side glances and a grandiose amount of paper shuffling. 

What I didn't realize then is that they didn't know how to answer the second part of my question. They, the professionals, could not define MS. That's when I knew things were spiraling in the downward direction. 

After a CAT scan, an MRI, multiple blood tests, and a complete neurological scan, my team of experts proudly announced the diagnosis. 

"We aren't sure, but we think it may be multiple sclerosis. The only conclusive test is a spinal tap."

After eleven days in the hospital and a pen cushion body, we were back to square one. the folks back home were getting a little weary and needed some juicy news to circulate around the neighborhood.
MS wasn't good enough, but, oh, a spinal tap. Now, that had the makings of tragedy and mayhem. I can even now imagine the wringing of hands and woeful moans of anticipation.

The diagnosis came back...positive. I had (and still have) multiple sclerosis. There was much back slapping and congratulatory hugging in the doctor's break room that day. They now had something to work with. News hit my street back home and the neighbors began baking banana bread for my return.

"Oh, my, Lisa. Let me know if I can do anything." 

Don't you just love this generic sentiment? 

Sure, there are a lot of things you can do for me. Clean my behind when I cannot make it to the bathroom. Inject that needle in that hard to reach location on the back of my arm for today's Beta Seron injection. Carry that hot cup of tea to me so that there is something left in the mug after my tremors deposit the contents all of over the floor on the way to my carefully arranged place on the couch. Carry my baby up those stairs for his nap and explain to him why his mommy can no longer hold him without fear of dropping him on his fragile little head. (Someone once told me that it is impossible to drop a baby. That person evidently never met MS.)

After it became apparent that my condition was not going to advance in any weird, news-worthy way, fewer and fewer people offered to help me. Fewer and fewer folks  dropped by for a chat. My phone stopped ringing and my "friends"  found comfort in other scandals. If I wanted banana bread, I would have to rally and do it myself.

So, that's what I did. I rallied. I baked banana bread and I got on with life. Oh, and I moved away from that neighborhood.

My MS is never going away and it is never going to get better. This news is only intriguing for a second or two. I understand that now. I really didn't then, but my journey has been a true learning experience.

I look at my life then, fifteen years ago, and I look at where I am today: In a smaller house (hallelujah), retired, very little social interaction outside the house, NO un-invited advice. I control my life, for the most part. In the words of Julia Roberts (Pretty Woman), "I decide when. I decide who." And I do.

I like this newer version of myself. MS is not going to take away my desire to live a full life. I have seen that happen, and I bet you have as well.

It's all  in the attitude, folks. I plan to get earn an A in that department. What about you?

Lisa






Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

MS Awareness Month: The Letter K

K is for keeping up with Jones's. 
Get rid of this philosophy RIGHT NOW. You are special. You are unique. You are a Warrior. You are a Super Star. MS does not define you. 

We have enough on our plates without worrying about without the rest of the coming and goings in our neighborhood, church, community, family. So what if Bubba got a new ski boat or Nibby Neighbor Nancy is planning - loudly - her spring cruise. I celebrate daily getting out of bed. No, I am not downplaying the excitement surrounding these happy moments in the lives of those folks we know. As MS Warriors, we sometimes need to remember that life hold more bonuses than money can buy.

This morning I am reminded that spring is on its way. Sure, I saw the news and I am well aware of the snow storm that promises to pelt our country in a few hours. I am ready. Milk in the fridge. Bread in the pantry. Flashlights battered up. But, behind that storm is spring and my favorite scent of all times: lilac. Don't ya just love t…

The N of MS.

N is for not allowing MS to win. This easy. Refer to A-M and O-Z.

As MS Warriors it is our job, our responsibility, and our mission to provide information, support, insight, and understanding to this ridiculous disease. 

http://www.nationalmssociety.org/wearestrongerthanms

#WeAreStrongerThanMS

When I say we need to provide information, I am not just talking about clinical research and statistics. If you are living with MS or are close to someone with the MonSter, you have more information than can be found on the internet. YOU are the expert. YOU are the prime resource for what's what in this crazy land of MS. You experience(s) is invaluable.

Supporting the fight against MS wears many hats. Sure, you can make a monetary donation, but that is not always feasible in this tight-budget minded world. I am definitely preaching to the choir here. As a retired school teacher, I am facing quite a few unplanned expenses. No, money is not the only way, or necessarily the best way to offer assist…

This Writer's Euphoric Journey

It is November and that means National Novel Writing Month. I participate every year. As always, I am behind on my writing goal for the month: WRITE 50,000 WORDS  IN 30 DAYS. 

With only two days to go, I still need 10,000 to finish. 

So...I will see you here again on Wednesday or at the end of my journey of 50,000 words. Until then, breathe.

Lisa