Google+ Followers

Friday, May 20, 2016

Should I stay or should I go?



So, yesterday I went shopping and met my bestest friend for lunch. My mother-in-law called prior to that to inform me that the girl I sent over the night before stole her purse. I assured her that the purse was in the house. I didn't bother addressing the mystery girl. I have no idea who that might be. I promised to check in later in the day.

I must admit that I could not wait to get on my way. Shopping has never been a big interest to me, but I was anxious to get to the mall for a little retail therapy. I had my morning planned. I knew the location of every bathroom from one end of the mall to the other. I had my wheeled shopping cart with me and my cane. I was ready.

And I got everything on my list; except the Steven Tyler country album that I thought was released this week. Anyone know when that blessed event will occur? 

Since I couldn't treat myself to a little country music, I purchased a new pair of Sketchers instead. They were on sale and my old ones are a bit worn. (That's my rationale.)

My shopping complete and my legs stumbling like the drunken MS Warrior that I am, I knew it was time to return to the car and head to the restaurant. 

My pal and I had a nice lunch. We agonized over recent knitting problems. Shared some family pics and discussed a summer trip we are planning with another friend of ours. I left her feeling good and glad I made time for myself today.

I should have stayed out a little longer. 

When I got home I saw that I had three messages blinking away on my phone. Three! I rare get one message worthy call a day, let alone three.

I let out a sigh of relief that the first call was actually an appointment reminder. Good deal. I had forgotten about that particular event so I was happy someone had the foresight to jog my memory.

And then...the proverbial stuff hit the fan.

My mother-in-law in tears. Desperate, frightened, end of the world sobbing. She needed help.

The third call was a distant cousin of my husband's asking someone to please return his call. I tackled that one first. 

Evidently he had received the same call from mother-in-law and had immediately driven to her house where she insisted that they go to the hospital NOW. So, that's where they went and she's home now. When my husband went to  check on her she did not mention her trip to the ER or her frantic pleas for help.

We are out of ideas of how to deal with this situation. She refuses (to the point of suicidal threats) to go to a nursing home. She has kicked out every home care provider we have found for her. she has no none but us.

We continue to receive advice, but no one can  help us move things along to find her a safe living environment.

This is the time of year that my family goes camping A LOT. We have a lovely camp in the mountains and May is prime fishing season. Plus, my husband and I need to unwind a bit together. He has gone every weekend this month, but I have stayed home. Since his mother calls me every day,  I am glad that I was here. 

But I need some time in paradise. I am just really nervous about leaving town when she is so disoriented.

Any advice?

Have a great weekend.
Lisa


Post a Comment