Skip to main content

Playing Catch-Up after a MonSter attack.



                                                                                

                                                                               



I thought last week was bad? HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA


Good ol' Mona may be wearing that secret, seductive smile, but Lisa knows the true meaning of that famous lip action. Just when you think you have reached the lowest of lows, the MonSter throws a lightening bolt and reminds you to never, nev-er, never, ever turn your back on the threat of retaliation.

Note to self: Do NOT challenge the enemy to a show down. Keep your mouth shut and move on.

Allergy season is in high gear here in West Virginia, with this past Saturday, April 30 (Happy belated birthday, Aunt Katie), noted as having the state's highest air born pollen count concentrated in Fairmont, WV. I live right outside Fairmont. My son and I spent the entire day in Fairmont at the WV State Math Field Day Contest. (He is now the WV state Game Master.) By the time the day's events came to a close, my eyes were practically swollen shut and I could not breathe through my nose. My son looked worse than I could dare to describe my own symptoms.

Of course my annoying nemesis cackled with glee upon being given the opportunity to weasel its way into my weakened immune system. While my son and I dozed on the sofas while binge watching Impractical Jokers, the MonSter partied on. 

While doing my best to care for my teenager (He really did his best to share the care-giver responsibilities, good boy that he is.), the MonSter played with my balance, my bladder, my vision, and my emotions. 

The living room looked like a war zone by the time we convinced ourselves to turn in for a night of restless, congested, repose. Used tissues littered the floor and empty drinking vessels covered the tables. Throw blankets were literally thrown around the room. the cat even looked frazzled.


I finally rallied last evening after an experimental session with some essential oils and a hot compress on my chest. In fact, other than a lingering headache, I am almost normal.  For you essential oil fans, here's my recipe:
Rub coconut oil on the chest.
Rub a dab of eucalyptus oil over the coconut oil.
Rub a dab of peppermint oil over the eucalyptus oil.
Apply wet heat to the chest.

I don't know exactly what happened, but I stopped coughing up a lung (and it was bad, bad) and even my head seemed to clear. I slept last night. Really slept. Yeah!

I couldn't convince science-brained son to give it a go, so he headed out for school this morning feeling miserable. Hope he improves throughout the day, poor fellow. He hates spring, fall or any season that brings the earth alive with new new smells and float-y things in the air.

Since  we are on the topic of oils, have you used the recommended blend for MS? Well, get out a fresh roller ball and start blending.

Dilute 1-2 drops of the following with fractionated coconut oil:  Frankincense, sandalwood and peppermint. Apply to spine, back of the neck, and soles of the feet several times a day. It seems to work. Anything is worth a try, right?

Anyway, I apologize for not being any more insightful today. 

My husband tells me that it is my responsibility to take better care of myself. Of course he does not understand what additional effort that requires. While he spent the weekend fishing (and I am very glad he wasn't here to witness the devastation on the home front), I juggled caring for my son, attempting to fight through another unplanned exacerbation, and trying to get my own body to respond to positive thought and health treatment. He doesn't need to know how many times I peed the bed or fell head first across the floor. It will be my little secret why the fridge is rather empty and dirty dishes cover the kitchen counters. When he returns from work today, my Mona Lisa smile will be intact and dinner will be simmering on the stove. I will have showered and the house will be straightened. 

The MonSter will be put on a shelf for now.

Until next time,
Lisa











Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Riding the MS broom

Do you ever feel like the ultimate witchy woman? That is actually a rhetorical question because I know you do. We all do whether we mean it or not. And guess what? We have a right to feel that way. Our brand of broom is a touch one to ride. That is why I truly believe that our supreme master, who ever/whatever that may be, doesn't throw us more than we can catch.

MSers (I read recently that this is an inappropriate way in which to refer to individuals with multiple sclerosis. The source of this judgement obliviously does not live with the disease. MS Warriors are far less offended by such a label than that.) are strong individuals who thrive on finding a purpose, a solution, a balance.

We are dependent on our co-pilot Common Sense. Care Givers are a beautiful addition to our lives, but many MSers (I did it again!) are not fortunate to have someone to clean our broom and dust off the daily spider webs that clutter the  cognitive mess of our brains. I learned that long before MS becam…

Yoga Burn gives new incentive to my morning routine.

I am not one much for online shopping indulgences, but a couple of weeks ago I allowed myself the rare treat of purchasing the Yoga Burn program advertised on Face Book. This morning I completed week one of the monthly scheduled routine and I even took time to meditate under the guidance of Yoga instructor Zoe Bray Cotton.

Laugh if you must, but I really, really, enjoyed the meditation exercise. I realize this is a solitary activity and I will never practice this in front of husband and/or son. 

I felt wonderful afterword, though. So at peace and relaxed. I always knew I was a Zen Goddess at heart.

What I really love about this program is that it "is a comprehensive online yoga course directed toward women only."  The older I get, the more I appreciate anything to do with "for women only". Weird, huh?

Zoe' voice is so very soft and inviting. As she leads me through my morning poses, I really feel as though she is my new morning bestie. Of course, I have only comple…

This Writer's Euphoric Journey

It is November and that means National Novel Writing Month. I participate every year. As always, I am behind on my writing goal for the month: WRITE 50,000 WORDS  IN 30 DAYS. 

With only two days to go, I still need 10,000 to finish. 

So...I will see you here again on Wednesday or at the end of my journey of 50,000 words. Until then, breathe.

Lisa