Skip to main content

You do not need to sacrifice for MS. WeAreStrongerThanMS.org

://www.nationalmssociety.org/wearestrongerthanms


It is the Lenten season and we are fast approaching the conclusion of our personal sacrifice in honor of what Jesus sacrificed for us. I hope you have been successful with any goals you set for yourself this year. To me, this is bigger than any New Year's resolution I could ever make. This promise to myself reflects my convictions and beliefs that there IS a higher power watching over us. It gives me a purpose, something  to strive toward. I have a chance to "give back".

Just remember that Jesus certainly did not become invisible because of His sacrifice. His sacrifice made Him bigger than life. His sacrifice made Him a hero.

Having multiple sclerosis creates for us multiple sacrifices on a daily basis. Since my 2001 diagnosis I have forfeited the pleasure of taking long walks (and often short ones) around my neighborhood. 
I no longer attend sporting events that require excessive physical exertion that even being a spectator involves. 
Long car trips are often disastrous when immediate bathroom stops are not  possible. This makes vacation plans stressful, and we all know what stress does to us. 
 A visit to the beach is no longer fun for me due to the intense attention to the heat.
My tremors are unpredictable so even fine motor activity is not always a reasonable option.
I rarely drive after dark and I no longer really enjoy social events because I am not physically comfortable in large groups of people.
I no longer work outside the home because I can't trust myself to stay on me feet. I really, really loved my job.

With my limited social participation, I have often become invisible to people with whom I once spent large quantities of time. I am not asking for invitations, pity, or special privileges. I just want to remain your friend, or  your colleague. I still exist. I am still the person I have always been. I just have a harder shell and a more mature outlook on life.
                                                                                                            

Yes, I have given up so much to MS; but I haven't sacrificed everything to this ridiculous disease. That would mean that MS wins and that is definitely NOT acceptable.

So, sure, I would love to meet up for a game of tennis; but that's not going to happen. How about meeting at the book store for coffee?
Learning a new skill at the Y? We could take a yoga class or go to the theater (As long as we sit on the back row; those fountain drinks are a killer!). We could watch the big game at the corner pub instead of at the stadium. An evening of cards sounds like fun. I'm game to make a few concessions. Are you?

It's okay if my MS has you down. I apologize for not being the active person I once was. But I'm still me.

Don't get caught up in the depression that accompanies the loneliness of MS. You do not have to be lonely (and I'm not talking about Farmers Only.com). True friends will not desert you. Know that you have to be proactive as well. Maybe those once-daily phone calls would continue if you allow your friends to be more comfortable in your presence. They don't now how to deal with your MS any more or than you do. Let it sink in for them and then you make a move toward visiting when you are ready.

Your friends didn't expect you to get sick.
                                              

With multiple sclerosis diagnoses on the rise, it is more important than ever that awareness of this physically, mentally, emotionally draining disease be publicized. MS does not only affect the individual with the diagnosis. MS wraps it's ugly arms around family members, friends, and even the community associated with the MonSter's target.

I want to do what I can to support MS research programs, so I am using my life long dream of being an author to accomplish what little I can. During the month of March, a portion of my book sales will be donated to the National Multiple Sclerosis Society. 






Have a great day!
Lisa
LisaAnnetteMcCombs@yahoo.com

                               
Abby, $15.00 (Her mother has MS. What does that mean to young Abigail?)
I Have MS. What' Your super Power? $12.00 (A personal perspective from an MS Warrior)
Bundle them and save! Both books $25.00 (Double the donation to NMSS)
The cost of postage is on me!
Check out my books on Amazon, but order direct from me to contribute to NMSS.
Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

MS Awareness Month: The Letter K

K is for keeping up with Jones's. 
Get rid of this philosophy RIGHT NOW. You are special. You are unique. You are a Warrior. You are a Super Star. MS does not define you. 

We have enough on our plates without worrying about without the rest of the coming and goings in our neighborhood, church, community, family. So what if Bubba got a new ski boat or Nibby Neighbor Nancy is planning - loudly - her spring cruise. I celebrate daily getting out of bed. No, I am not downplaying the excitement surrounding these happy moments in the lives of those folks we know. As MS Warriors, we sometimes need to remember that life hold more bonuses than money can buy.

This morning I am reminded that spring is on its way. Sure, I saw the news and I am well aware of the snow storm that promises to pelt our country in a few hours. I am ready. Milk in the fridge. Bread in the pantry. Flashlights battered up. But, behind that storm is spring and my favorite scent of all times: lilac. Don't ya just love t…

The N of MS.

N is for not allowing MS to win. This easy. Refer to A-M and O-Z.

As MS Warriors it is our job, our responsibility, and our mission to provide information, support, insight, and understanding to this ridiculous disease. 

http://www.nationalmssociety.org/wearestrongerthanms

#WeAreStrongerThanMS

When I say we need to provide information, I am not just talking about clinical research and statistics. If you are living with MS or are close to someone with the MonSter, you have more information than can be found on the internet. YOU are the expert. YOU are the prime resource for what's what in this crazy land of MS. You experience(s) is invaluable.

Supporting the fight against MS wears many hats. Sure, you can make a monetary donation, but that is not always feasible in this tight-budget minded world. I am definitely preaching to the choir here. As a retired school teacher, I am facing quite a few unplanned expenses. No, money is not the only way, or necessarily the best way to offer assist…

This Writer's Euphoric Journey

It is November and that means National Novel Writing Month. I participate every year. As always, I am behind on my writing goal for the month: WRITE 50,000 WORDS  IN 30 DAYS. 

With only two days to go, I still need 10,000 to finish. 

So...I will see you here again on Wednesday or at the end of my journey of 50,000 words. Until then, breathe.

Lisa