Skip to main content

WAKE UP!!!!


A photo from the '60s shows a collection of clocks used for timing Civil Service exams.
Spring is almost here. Today we officially gain an entire hour of daylight. 

When I awoke this morning, I was a bit discombobulated. My room was alight with, well, morning. My clock read a time when I should have already been up and about, but my head said, "Roll over, Lisa".

In fact,  my head was not really working in sync with the rest of me.

My mind had taken a turn in the opposite direction of daylight saving time. My mind was revisiting the past.

A smile that used to make me feel warm and fuzzy, safe, secure, and wanted... I could almost touch it. I wanted to reach out and connect with the person to whom that smile belonged.

But that is not reality. No matter how I often I see him in my mind's (nearly every day) eye, that was then. This is now.

We cannot turn back the hands of time. We lived those times. That adventure is over and  the next one demands our attention.

Multiple sclerosis was already hanging out in my system back in the day when that warm smile of which I dream was in my life. It just hadn't been properly introduced to me.

I knew something was not quite right with me as far back as my freshman year in college; maybe even prior to that. During freshman year at WVWC, my fingers started going numb after a session on the racket ball court. After complaining about this sensation to my mother, she located the appropriate medical person to take a look at me. The diagnosis: carpel tunnel. "Let's do tests the next time you come home from school."

So, I wore this weird wrist band n my right hand for weeks. And I stopped playing racket ball.

Later on I experienced periodic bouts of dizziness and out-of-control balance. By then "warm, fuzzy smile" and I were a serious item. I thought my strange physical ailments were a result of that one true love I was destined to recognize at this age appropriate time in my life. I literally fell for him on more than one occasion.

It was many years after "warm smile" was no longer a part of my life that the real culprit jumped up to shake my hand. And it came on the wake of another one true love.

With the birth of my one and only child, MS manifested itself into the real demon it is. (Read more in my book I Have MS. What's Your Super Power? @HeadlineBooks.com)

Six months after giving birth to my only child, my early summer morning walk was interrupted by the most intense and frightening moments of my life. That morning in June 2001, I learned how important it is to face the importance of NOW and to embrace the blessings of where we are and not where we have been.

We cannot change the past. In fact, I am not certain that changing it would do much to alter where we are today. Multiple sclerosis was probably always a part of me. There is nothing I could have done differently to change that. There was nothing my mother did in raising me that would prevent the emergence of the MonSter.

Turning back time changes nothing in the end.

God has a plan for us all. MS is my challenge, not my penance.

I really don't know much about that foreign fellow who said it, but he said best. "What doesn't kill us, makes us stronger." (His name begins with an N. You know who I mean. I just cannot spell his name.)

So, on this first day of daylight saving time, save yourself the worry of how the past has affected your present. It is what it is, friends. 

Wake up. Go to church. Surround yourself with family (today is "game day" at my mother's house). Eat fun Sunday meals. Smile. Remember the warm, fuzzy smile of days gone by, but don't dwell on it. Enjoy the memory, but vow to make new ones.

Thank you for reading my sermon. Now it's time for me to get ready to listen to one prepared by a professional. (Yes, Pastor Larry, I set my clocks last night and I WILL be in church today.)

Lisa
LisaAnnetteMcCombs@yahoo.com


Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Riding the MS broom

Do you ever feel like the ultimate witchy woman? That is actually a rhetorical question because I know you do. We all do whether we mean it or not. And guess what? We have a right to feel that way. Our brand of broom is a touch one to ride. That is why I truly believe that our supreme master, who ever/whatever that may be, doesn't throw us more than we can catch.

MSers (I read recently that this is an inappropriate way in which to refer to individuals with multiple sclerosis. The source of this judgement obliviously does not live with the disease. MS Warriors are far less offended by such a label than that.) are strong individuals who thrive on finding a purpose, a solution, a balance.

We are dependent on our co-pilot Common Sense. Care Givers are a beautiful addition to our lives, but many MSers (I did it again!) are not fortunate to have someone to clean our broom and dust off the daily spider webs that clutter the  cognitive mess of our brains. I learned that long before MS becam…

Yoga Burn gives new incentive to my morning routine.

I am not one much for online shopping indulgences, but a couple of weeks ago I allowed myself the rare treat of purchasing the Yoga Burn program advertised on Face Book. This morning I completed week one of the monthly scheduled routine and I even took time to meditate under the guidance of Yoga instructor Zoe Bray Cotton.

Laugh if you must, but I really, really, enjoyed the meditation exercise. I realize this is a solitary activity and I will never practice this in front of husband and/or son. 

I felt wonderful afterword, though. So at peace and relaxed. I always knew I was a Zen Goddess at heart.

What I really love about this program is that it "is a comprehensive online yoga course directed toward women only."  The older I get, the more I appreciate anything to do with "for women only". Weird, huh?

Zoe' voice is so very soft and inviting. As she leads me through my morning poses, I really feel as though she is my new morning bestie. Of course, I have only comple…

This Writer's Euphoric Journey

It is November and that means National Novel Writing Month. I participate every year. As always, I am behind on my writing goal for the month: WRITE 50,000 WORDS  IN 30 DAYS. 

With only two days to go, I still need 10,000 to finish. 

So...I will see you here again on Wednesday or at the end of my journey of 50,000 words. Until then, breathe.

Lisa