Skip to main content

Multiple Sclerosis Sucks, even during MS Awareness Month


The following are not my words.  I borrowed them from someone else's blog. A very good blog. You should read it.

"Allow me to apologize in advance for the contents of this essay. Quite simply, I’m fed up with Multiple Sclerosis and everything that has to do with Multiple Sclerosis. Those expecting to find any form of eloquence, wisdom, inspiration, or other redeeming qualities in these words will probably be sorely disappointed. Like a bulimic who just polished off a giant platter of lasagna, I’m feeling the need to purge and I have a hunch the results won’t be pretty. What follows promises to be more of a free-form rant than well-constructed discourse. I can’t guarantee any kind of narrative flow or grammatical cohesion, much less literary flourish or clever turn of phrase. No, instead I’m just gonna let it rip, an unadulterated regurgitation of everything about MS that’s been stuck in my craw these last few months. This may not be for the faint of heart, as I just might wander into some very uncomfortable territory. Okay, you’ve been warned; now’s the time to either buckle up or head for the exits." 

htmlhttp://www.wheelchairkamikaze.com/2016/02/multiple-sclerosis-sucks.html

The Wheelchair Kamikaze tells it like it is. This is only the first paragraph in a much longer, extremely graphic depiction of multiple sclerosis. While I attempt to present the most positive face possible in the presence of this ugly disease, WK pours out his rage without any restraints. I think I am in love. Or at least in deep, deep respect for such an unadulterated attitude. His words excite me; yet, I find myself blushing at the thought of unleashing such gruesome, honest hatred.

So, I won't. I will just continue to follow his blog and allow him to be the heavy. Is there anything wrong with that? Someone has to be the "bad cop", right?

The point is....we all live differently with our MS. There is no planned template to follow with this disease. That is one of the reasons why multiple sclerosis is such an unfair condition. There are no guidelines. There is no formula for a successful recuperation. Avonex, Copaxone, Beta Seron, Tecfidera...you've read the reviews. What works happily for one of us may throw another one of us under the bridge.

It is truly depressing. And I hate to be depressed.

That is one reason I wrote I Have MS. What's Your Super Power? Writing is my happy place. I want to share that place with other people searching for reassurance, support, and understanding.

I Have MS. What's Your Super Power? is really an extension of my personal journal that holds all of the ugly thoughts I felt in the beginning of this MS journey. I do not have Wheelchair Kamikaze's talent for relaying those dark, pathetic rantings of 2001. In the censored version I approach MS with a more clinical, "how-to" attitude. There is no guide book for MS. We know that.  I also know that sometimes I learn more from another person's experience than fro many published instructional manual.

If it makes me laugh, I read it. If it pulls at the heart strings, I read it. If it contains useful information in an interesting fashion, I read it.

 Both I Have MS. What's Your Super Power? and Abby, satisfy that checklist.

During the month of March, one dollar from each sale of these books will be donated to the National Multiple Sclerosis Society in honor of MS Awareness Month.

Get a sneak peak on one of the following sites.

All orders directly ordered from me apply to this campaign and a donation will be forwarded at the end of the month. Any books ordered from on-line sources are subject to a royalty schedule, so I will not know what is donated until July. But, hey, any donation is a good donation, right? I am certain NMSS will accept a monetary gift any time of year.

Have a brilliant day. the sun is shining here in West Virginia!
Lisa

LisaAnnetteMcCombs@yahoo.com

Amazon.com/Have-Whats-Your-Super-Power/dp/1882658442/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1448064082&sr=1-1&keywords=I+Have+MS+What%27s+Your+Super+Power%3F
http://www.headlinebooks.com/

HeadlineBooks.com

Look for me on my FB page Lisa A. McCombs or my writing FB page Abby. I would love to meet you, even if it is as a virtual relationship! Pen pals sure have changed, haven't they?
Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Riding the MS broom

Do you ever feel like the ultimate witchy woman? That is actually a rhetorical question because I know you do. We all do whether we mean it or not. And guess what? We have a right to feel that way. Our brand of broom is a touch one to ride. That is why I truly believe that our supreme master, who ever/whatever that may be, doesn't throw us more than we can catch.

MSers (I read recently that this is an inappropriate way in which to refer to individuals with multiple sclerosis. The source of this judgement obliviously does not live with the disease. MS Warriors are far less offended by such a label than that.) are strong individuals who thrive on finding a purpose, a solution, a balance.

We are dependent on our co-pilot Common Sense. Care Givers are a beautiful addition to our lives, but many MSers (I did it again!) are not fortunate to have someone to clean our broom and dust off the daily spider webs that clutter the  cognitive mess of our brains. I learned that long before MS becam…

Yoga Burn gives new incentive to my morning routine.

I am not one much for online shopping indulgences, but a couple of weeks ago I allowed myself the rare treat of purchasing the Yoga Burn program advertised on Face Book. This morning I completed week one of the monthly scheduled routine and I even took time to meditate under the guidance of Yoga instructor Zoe Bray Cotton.

Laugh if you must, but I really, really, enjoyed the meditation exercise. I realize this is a solitary activity and I will never practice this in front of husband and/or son. 

I felt wonderful afterword, though. So at peace and relaxed. I always knew I was a Zen Goddess at heart.

What I really love about this program is that it "is a comprehensive online yoga course directed toward women only."  The older I get, the more I appreciate anything to do with "for women only". Weird, huh?

Zoe' voice is so very soft and inviting. As she leads me through my morning poses, I really feel as though she is my new morning bestie. Of course, I have only comple…

This Writer's Euphoric Journey

It is November and that means National Novel Writing Month. I participate every year. As always, I am behind on my writing goal for the month: WRITE 50,000 WORDS  IN 30 DAYS. 

With only two days to go, I still need 10,000 to finish. 

So...I will see you here again on Wednesday or at the end of my journey of 50,000 words. Until then, breathe.

Lisa