Skip to main content

MS Doesn't Know a Day of Rest

Since yesterday was Sunday, I decided to take advantage of my Day of Rest. Foolish me. Multiple Sclerosis doesn't know a day of rest. Every Day is MS Day.

According to The MS Recovery Diet by Ann D. Sawyer and Judith E. Bachrach,  the "multi-system failure (experienced by folks with MS) is usually referred to as MS fatigue." (p. 6) - Here I go again...advertising someone else's book in the name of MS research.
http://www.amazon.com/The-Recovery-Diet-Ann-Sawyer/product-review

FATIGUE is an overwhelming and possibly paralyzing symptom of MS; but I do not view it as comparable to rest. Rest is a conscious decision. We rest when the opportunity is put before us. We make the decision to rest

As far as I know we do not consciously make the decision to be fatigued. At least I don't. When I think about fatigue I become instantly uncomfortable. My entire body kinda goes limp and my brain fogs over. Nothing tastes good. Nothing sounds interesting. Everything is just a plain out PAIN. 

I didn't feel fatigued yesterday. In fact I really felt at a loss without my new purpose of blogging each day for the 31 days of March in honor of Multiple Sclerosis Awareness Month. There was really no reason to take a day of rest from my Awareness project. My MS was still there throughout church service, grocery shopping, and dinner preparation. MS wasn't hanging out in the Garden of Eden after full seven days of hard labor. My MS hung on like a bad penny (What does that analogy even mean?).

So, lesson learned. I WILL NOT take a day of rest from my MS Awareness campaign. We can rest from excessive physical exertion. We can rest from labor  intensive mental theatrics. We can rest from menial tasks that will still be there tomorrow. We can rest throughout the day in  order to stock up some much needed energy for the next chore at hand. But we cannot rest from our MS.  that MonSter is the enemy and does not deserve the advantage over the Common Sense that battling MS requires.

While searching for an appropriate passage to share from my book I Have MS. What's Your Super Power?, I couldn't find just one. Yep, that's right. I, Lisa A. McCombs, am tooting my own horn. The book is just that good.
Just diagnosed with MS? Know someone who has MS? Interested in a short (80 pages) read about a mysterious, debilitating disease? Want to contribute to MS research? Just want me to shut up?
Order your copy of I Have MS. What's Your Super Power? directly fro me during the month of March and I will personally donate a portion of the sale to MS research. I will pay for postage and even include a free autograph (I know you're thrilled). Just e-mail me and we will get right on this!
LisaAnnetteMcCombs@yahoo.com


Of course I will not fuss if you would rather order from one of the listed websites; but this month it is not all about sales for me. My goal is to personally donate to the NMSS http://www.nationalmssociety.org/ with help of  my readers.

To date I have collected $28.00. I am so excited to post a check to NMSS at the end of the month. In fact, I will match the total donation to double our contribution. Those are big words from a retired school teacher. 

I just really feel it is SO important to share my knowledge of this disease. It is a Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad disease. (There I go referencing books again.)

Thanks for allowing me to continue my campaign and forgive me for taking a day of rest. I promise that won't happen again!

Lisa

http://booksgosocialdaily.com/i-have-ms-whats-your-super-power/
http://www.amazon.com/Have-Whats-Your-Super-Power
http://headlinebooks.com/book-author-profile/lisa-a-mccombs/
Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Riding the MS broom

Do you ever feel like the ultimate witchy woman? That is actually a rhetorical question because I know you do. We all do whether we mean it or not. And guess what? We have a right to feel that way. Our brand of broom is a touch one to ride. That is why I truly believe that our supreme master, who ever/whatever that may be, doesn't throw us more than we can catch.

MSers (I read recently that this is an inappropriate way in which to refer to individuals with multiple sclerosis. The source of this judgement obliviously does not live with the disease. MS Warriors are far less offended by such a label than that.) are strong individuals who thrive on finding a purpose, a solution, a balance.

We are dependent on our co-pilot Common Sense. Care Givers are a beautiful addition to our lives, but many MSers (I did it again!) are not fortunate to have someone to clean our broom and dust off the daily spider webs that clutter the  cognitive mess of our brains. I learned that long before MS becam…

Yoga Burn gives new incentive to my morning routine.

I am not one much for online shopping indulgences, but a couple of weeks ago I allowed myself the rare treat of purchasing the Yoga Burn program advertised on Face Book. This morning I completed week one of the monthly scheduled routine and I even took time to meditate under the guidance of Yoga instructor Zoe Bray Cotton.

Laugh if you must, but I really, really, enjoyed the meditation exercise. I realize this is a solitary activity and I will never practice this in front of husband and/or son. 

I felt wonderful afterword, though. So at peace and relaxed. I always knew I was a Zen Goddess at heart.

What I really love about this program is that it "is a comprehensive online yoga course directed toward women only."  The older I get, the more I appreciate anything to do with "for women only". Weird, huh?

Zoe' voice is so very soft and inviting. As she leads me through my morning poses, I really feel as though she is my new morning bestie. Of course, I have only comple…

This Writer's Euphoric Journey

It is November and that means National Novel Writing Month. I participate every year. As always, I am behind on my writing goal for the month: WRITE 50,000 WORDS  IN 30 DAYS. 

With only two days to go, I still need 10,000 to finish. 

So...I will see you here again on Wednesday or at the end of my journey of 50,000 words. Until then, breathe.

Lisa