Skip to main content

I am bringing the MS bling!



Wow, it has been a whirlwind holiday week/weekend for me! When I started this personal MS Awareness campaign, my goal was, of course, to stir up some local support for a horrible disease. 

 I can officially report that on the local area this has truly happened. So far, I have taken my message to a local television station and have been written up in our local newspaper. Today, I am lunching with a news reporter in order to bring some faces to the Marion County Public Library on Saturday for the conclusion of MS Awareness Month.

Not only will I be there with copies of I Have MS. What's Your Super Power? and Abby, I am bringing the bling. Yep, that's right. A purchase of I Have MS. What's Your Super Power? will benefit the National MS Society with a donation AND you will receive a pretty little orange ribbon charm (compliments  of moi) to serve as a reminder of what this month means.

MS is a silent and often invisible condition. Many of us are successful in hiding our disability. Many of us are not.

The best thing about this personal project of mine is the overwhelming number of Warriors I have met. We are not alone. That is a very important fact and the biggest reason for me writing I Have MS. What's Your Super Power? There is an entire population out there made of MS Warriors.

We are NOT ALONE.


Another tidbit of exciting news is that NMSS has contacted me in reference to my inquiry about a local support group. We have none. If my profile clears the required background check and I successfully attend the training classes, Marion County may once again have a MS support group.

My first and last experience with a support group left a bitter, frightening taste in my mouth. It is my goal to make support group an encouraging, positive, informative, family experience. This is a challenge and one that I enthusiastically embrace.



Veasey Notebook: Local author is seeking to raise awareness of M.S.
·         By John Veasey Times West Virginian

A local author is doing what she can to raise awareness of multiple sclerosis. Lisa McCombs was diagnosed in 2001 and has since become an activist in the fight against what she refers to as the MonSter.
In 2011 McCombs published her first book, a young adult novel about a twelve-year-old girl whose mother is diagnosed with the mysterious disease. More recently the author published a nonfiction “survival” guide to living with multiple sclerosis.
Both books have received national 5-star reviews and are award winning titles. “I Have MS. What’s Your Super Power?” has even gone international with recognition as an honorable mention in the 2015 London Book Festival Awards.
Keeping it local, McCombs’ publisher is Headline Books located in Terra Alta.
With March being Multiple Sclerosis Awareness Month, McCombs is donating a dollar from the sale of each of her books to the National Multiple Sclerosis Society and will pay the postage for books ordered directly from her. Her personal campaign to support MS research will wrap up with a book signing appearance at the Marion County Public Library on April 2.
You can contact Lisa McCombs at LisaAnnetteMcCombs@yahoo.com or visit her blog at www.lisa-mccombs@blogspot.com


Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

MS Awareness Month: The Letter K

K is for keeping up with Jones's. 
Get rid of this philosophy RIGHT NOW. You are special. You are unique. You are a Warrior. You are a Super Star. MS does not define you. 

We have enough on our plates without worrying about without the rest of the coming and goings in our neighborhood, church, community, family. So what if Bubba got a new ski boat or Nibby Neighbor Nancy is planning - loudly - her spring cruise. I celebrate daily getting out of bed. No, I am not downplaying the excitement surrounding these happy moments in the lives of those folks we know. As MS Warriors, we sometimes need to remember that life hold more bonuses than money can buy.

This morning I am reminded that spring is on its way. Sure, I saw the news and I am well aware of the snow storm that promises to pelt our country in a few hours. I am ready. Milk in the fridge. Bread in the pantry. Flashlights battered up. But, behind that storm is spring and my favorite scent of all times: lilac. Don't ya just love t…

The N of MS.

N is for not allowing MS to win. This easy. Refer to A-M and O-Z.

As MS Warriors it is our job, our responsibility, and our mission to provide information, support, insight, and understanding to this ridiculous disease. 

http://www.nationalmssociety.org/wearestrongerthanms

#WeAreStrongerThanMS

When I say we need to provide information, I am not just talking about clinical research and statistics. If you are living with MS or are close to someone with the MonSter, you have more information than can be found on the internet. YOU are the expert. YOU are the prime resource for what's what in this crazy land of MS. You experience(s) is invaluable.

Supporting the fight against MS wears many hats. Sure, you can make a monetary donation, but that is not always feasible in this tight-budget minded world. I am definitely preaching to the choir here. As a retired school teacher, I am facing quite a few unplanned expenses. No, money is not the only way, or necessarily the best way to offer assist…

This Writer's Euphoric Journey

It is November and that means National Novel Writing Month. I participate every year. As always, I am behind on my writing goal for the month: WRITE 50,000 WORDS  IN 30 DAYS. 

With only two days to go, I still need 10,000 to finish. 

So...I will see you here again on Wednesday or at the end of my journey of 50,000 words. Until then, breathe.

Lisa