Google+ Followers

Sunday, February 28, 2016

Two Days until Multiple Sclerosis Awareness Month 2016

From the look of things, several folks have actually viewed my BIG ANNOUNCEMENT and are aware of my little fund raiser. Thank you so much for reading my post. Tell your friends. Bribe your children. Threaten you neighbors. Help me make this a worthwhile campaign.

Multiple Sclerosis is a condition in which our own body attacks and destroys the healthy cells and tissues, creating a myriad of symptoms and problems for our neurological health. Because we are all different, our reaction to this internal attack differs as well. Before totally freaking out over the possibility or reality that you have multiple sclerosis, you must realize a few truths about MS.

 MS is NOT. MS cannot kill you, but it can offer health challenges that may lead to death. Multiple Sclerosis is not curable, but it is not fatal either. So, do into get sucked up in the drama associated with having a chronic or incurable disease. This creates stress and stress is one of the leading igniters of MS relapse. 

But, being under stress does not necessarily mean that you are headed for a relapse. Stress isn't good for anyone.

Supposedly MS doesn't affect pregnancy or the welfare of the child, but the weeks following the birthing procedure are often the high risk time period for possible relapse. I discovered my condition and was diagnosed six months after the birth of my son. My months of pregnancy, though, were the healthiest I have ever felt and baby boy recently turned fifteen years old.

We are cautioned to beware of so-called natural remedies and place our faith and trust in the professionals with the prescription pad in hand. I am not stupid enough to take sides here. If you have MS, you already know that trial and error is a way of life. If you are new to this crazy neurological disorder, do not be afraid to research comforting solutions to every day challenges. It's just common sense.

A common mindset to MS is that since there is not cure, there is nothing we can do about the disease.
So, does that mean that you are just going to lie down and allow this basically abstract villain rob you of a rich life? Are you saying life is over? That there is nothing that can be done about your condition?

Well, that attitude pretty much sucks.

John Belushi said it best in the cult classic Animal House: "Over? Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearly Harbor?"

Yep. You giving up makes about as much since as that famous movie line.

Look at the progress that has been made in the study of multiple sclerosis. We have come from being institutionalized or quarantined from society to fighting Washington for disability rights. What began as three marketed MS drugs has grown into a spread sheet of FDA approved prescription treatments.

This is NOT over. 

Unfortunately, every second of research requires time and money. 

Contributions and donations to the National Multiple Sclerosis is an evil necessity.
I know, I know...we get pounded with requests from multiple foundations and movements every day. I sometimes (ok, always) hate to answer my phone because I know it's another telemarketer begging for me to fund their cause. It's not that I don't want to...I cannot afford it.

This is personal, though. I have seen what MS does to people. I share the frustrations of my fellow warriors and I want so desperately to do my share.

So, if for no other reason than the dollar I will donate from the sale of each copy of my books, I hope you will support my effort.

My donation is not a great amount and I will probably loose money with my promise to personally pay postage and handling; but it's what I can do to work toward the extinction of this enemy.

I hate MS. I hate what it has taken from me and I hate what it does to all of afflicted with it.

To order your copy of my award winning I Have MS. What's Your Super Power? ($12.00 when you directly from me) and/or my YA award winning Abby, ($15.00), contact me at 
LisaAnnetteMcCombs@yahoo.com.

Want to bundle? Get both books for $25.00.

For every book purchased, I will donate one dollar to the National Multiple Sclerosis Society.

Let's make March 2016 the best Multiple Sclerosis Awareness Month ever.

I will pay for postage or even personally deliver your books if you live close.

Lisa




I was diagnosed with multiple sclerosis at the age of 41, six months after the birth of my only child. Since then I have published 3 young adult novels all centered around the main character Abigail Van Buren Masterson, whose mother is diagnosed with MS. Reading and interest level of Abby, is 11 years to adult.

I Have MS. What's Your Super Power? was published in November 2015 by Headline Books. An honorable mention at the London Book Festival and Readers Favorite five star review recipient,  I Have MS. What's Your Super Power? briefly chronicles life with MS. 
"With I Have MS. What's Your Super Power?", Lisa McCombs lays it all out - the sudden attacks, the mistaken assumptions of the public, the setbacks large and small - and she does it with unblinking frankness. As someone who has wrestled with the MonSter for 30 years, I recognize my own life in her very personal stories. Lisa does as people with MS must: accentuate the positive to defang the MonSter?"  - Geoffrey Camerson Fuller, New York Times bestselling author and ward-winning editor
Post a Comment