Skip to main content

Yoga IS a goal oriented pursuit.

Allen Finger, the founder of Yoga Zone, says that yoga is not a "goal oriented pursuit", but I am forced to disagree. When the yogi lives with multiple sclerosis, every little thing is of goal oriented design. I am just happy to accomplish moving through my day with minimal falls, no sudden emotional outbursts, or wetting myself in public settings. There are so many goals to achieve during any given day that adding a yoga session is liked to running the Boston Marathon. In order to accomplish twenty minutes of gentle yoga, I must adopt the proper mindset, physical balance, and proper emotional attitude to reach the conclusion of my evening yoga session.

Upon discovering Yoga Zone Gentle Yoga, I have realized that MS doesn't have to rob me of all physical activity. I have experimented with a variety of yoga routines and I truly appreciate the teachings of Sadie on Veria Network, Ellen Barrott from Prevention Magazine productions, and Baron Baptiste from the National Multiple Sclerosis Society. These individuals make my life easier and pump up my confidence level that MS insists on lowering. I try to stretch daily with one of these teachers via DVD or TV, but I always return to Charles on Yoga Zone when the others sometime bring me to tears of frustration/humiliation on days that just do not allow me to "flow". No, I cannot keep up with Jillian Michael, but I have come to realize that fast and furious is not always necessary in reaching a personal goal.

So, yes, Allen Finger, yoga is a goal oriented activity. I pursue full body relaxation every day in my yoga practice. Having multiple sclerosis makes every activity a goal oriented pursuit. I need a goal to motivate me through any activity, and I thank Yoga Zone for helping me reach that goal every day.

What I love about Baron Baptiste is that he doesn't care if I do exactly what he says. His plan for his students is to do what is comfortable. He views success in the attempt to accomplish his class. He tells his students that child's pose is "always there for you" if a rest is needed. He isn't demanding or demeaning. If you do not know Baron Baptiste, visit www.MyMSYoga.com or call 1-800-456-2255 for a free copy of MYMSYOGA with Baron Baptiste and Dr. Elliott Frohman.

I really enjoy Sadie on Rock Your Yoga on the Veria channel on Dish network, even if she is extremely intense. I love her vibe and the relaxed attitude of her show. And she is such a rocker! Sometimes it's just fun to watch her, but I really enjoy trying to follow her as well.

I know, I know...none of these folks can actually see me and none of these classes are live; but having MS means that one's social life is often limited; and actually attending classes outside the home is not always feasible. In fact, once I get home from work, I rarely leave the house again until the work day begins again. These yoga instructors are my "friends". The beauty of having friends like this is that I can turn them off when they "go too far". Sound fickle? Nah. They don't care and they are always there for me.

So, Allen Finger may not realize the importance of goals in the life of an individual with an need for a goal; but his creation of Yoga Zone makes it possible for me to pursue a goal. The goal of accomplishment.

My suggestions for a successful yoga practice, especially for MSers:
1. Take it slow and do not expect immediate results, although you are sure to see a few anyway.
2. Pay attention to your body.
3. Try a new pose every three or four days to keep things interesting.
4. Remember that child's pose is always there for you:)
5. Stretching is a wonderful way to tone and relax.


Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

MS Awareness Month: The Letter K

K is for keeping up with Jones's. 
Get rid of this philosophy RIGHT NOW. You are special. You are unique. You are a Warrior. You are a Super Star. MS does not define you. 

We have enough on our plates without worrying about without the rest of the coming and goings in our neighborhood, church, community, family. So what if Bubba got a new ski boat or Nibby Neighbor Nancy is planning - loudly - her spring cruise. I celebrate daily getting out of bed. No, I am not downplaying the excitement surrounding these happy moments in the lives of those folks we know. As MS Warriors, we sometimes need to remember that life hold more bonuses than money can buy.

This morning I am reminded that spring is on its way. Sure, I saw the news and I am well aware of the snow storm that promises to pelt our country in a few hours. I am ready. Milk in the fridge. Bread in the pantry. Flashlights battered up. But, behind that storm is spring and my favorite scent of all times: lilac. Don't ya just love t…

The N of MS.

N is for not allowing MS to win. This easy. Refer to A-M and O-Z.

As MS Warriors it is our job, our responsibility, and our mission to provide information, support, insight, and understanding to this ridiculous disease. 

http://www.nationalmssociety.org/wearestrongerthanms

#WeAreStrongerThanMS

When I say we need to provide information, I am not just talking about clinical research and statistics. If you are living with MS or are close to someone with the MonSter, you have more information than can be found on the internet. YOU are the expert. YOU are the prime resource for what's what in this crazy land of MS. You experience(s) is invaluable.

Supporting the fight against MS wears many hats. Sure, you can make a monetary donation, but that is not always feasible in this tight-budget minded world. I am definitely preaching to the choir here. As a retired school teacher, I am facing quite a few unplanned expenses. No, money is not the only way, or necessarily the best way to offer assist…

This Writer's Euphoric Journey

It is November and that means National Novel Writing Month. I participate every year. As always, I am behind on my writing goal for the month: WRITE 50,000 WORDS  IN 30 DAYS. 

With only two days to go, I still need 10,000 to finish. 

So...I will see you here again on Wednesday or at the end of my journey of 50,000 words. Until then, breathe.

Lisa