Skip to main content

Why?

I awoke in the middle of the night, thinking about my MS and how it has affected my life and the lives of those around me. I really believe that the effects of this disease began long before I was aware of its existence. The tingling in my fingers and arms when I learned to play raquet ball in college and even prior to that when I used to fool around with tennis. Those many times when I inexplicably fell with no warning or dropped items without any knowledge of letting go until the damage was done. The experiences with memory loss that were in no way hrelated to late night beer bashes. These were all red flags begging for attention. I just had no idea what kind of attention to offer.

During my latest research I found that an estimated 1 in 3 children are diagnosed with MS symptoms. Does that mean that I might have been carting around this inconvenient condition for much longer than I coul guess. I reallyh do believe that my hand numbness and aversion to heat might have been early MS indicators; but that doesn't explain all those years of sun worshipping I enjoyed while life guarding in my youth. I do not recall any episode of numbness or dizziness occurring all of those years. Does that mean that those years of severe heat exposure could have possibly been an accelerant to the diagnosis of the disease? Did my child hood illnesses of measles, mumps, and chicken pox contribute to my diagnosis? What about the unexpected bout of hepatitis that I contracted in the fourth grade after eating licoriche shared by a friend who had it? Does one disease lead to another?

And there are the zillioin questions concerning MS progression that attacks different individuals. Why did a former art teacher, a retired doctor, and a friend's mother all die as a result of the diease; especially when it is well publicized that one cannot die from MS? Why am I ambling along with a stumbling gait when my dear friend is in a wheelchair with limited mobility?

I just do NOT understand this disease. There is nio rhyme nor reason for it.

Did you know that years ago individuals experiencing what we currently recognize as MS symptoms were actually institutionalized or even punished as being in cohorts with the devil?

Well, if there  was ever a devlish disease, this is it. I definintely hdo not want to be tried as a witch, though! At least not for exhibiting traits of multiple sclerosis!

Okay, I've rambled enough for today.

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Riding the MS broom

Do you ever feel like the ultimate witchy woman? That is actually a rhetorical question because I know you do. We all do whether we mean it or not. And guess what? We have a right to feel that way. Our brand of broom is a touch one to ride. That is why I truly believe that our supreme master, who ever/whatever that may be, doesn't throw us more than we can catch.

MSers (I read recently that this is an inappropriate way in which to refer to individuals with multiple sclerosis. The source of this judgement obliviously does not live with the disease. MS Warriors are far less offended by such a label than that.) are strong individuals who thrive on finding a purpose, a solution, a balance.

We are dependent on our co-pilot Common Sense. Care Givers are a beautiful addition to our lives, but many MSers (I did it again!) are not fortunate to have someone to clean our broom and dust off the daily spider webs that clutter the  cognitive mess of our brains. I learned that long before MS becam…

Yoga Burn gives new incentive to my morning routine.

I am not one much for online shopping indulgences, but a couple of weeks ago I allowed myself the rare treat of purchasing the Yoga Burn program advertised on Face Book. This morning I completed week one of the monthly scheduled routine and I even took time to meditate under the guidance of Yoga instructor Zoe Bray Cotton.

Laugh if you must, but I really, really, enjoyed the meditation exercise. I realize this is a solitary activity and I will never practice this in front of husband and/or son. 

I felt wonderful afterword, though. So at peace and relaxed. I always knew I was a Zen Goddess at heart.

What I really love about this program is that it "is a comprehensive online yoga course directed toward women only."  The older I get, the more I appreciate anything to do with "for women only". Weird, huh?

Zoe' voice is so very soft and inviting. As she leads me through my morning poses, I really feel as though she is my new morning bestie. Of course, I have only comple…

This Writer's Euphoric Journey

It is November and that means National Novel Writing Month. I participate every year. As always, I am behind on my writing goal for the month: WRITE 50,000 WORDS  IN 30 DAYS. 

With only two days to go, I still need 10,000 to finish. 

So...I will see you here again on Wednesday or at the end of my journey of 50,000 words. Until then, breathe.

Lisa