Google+ Followers

Sunday, March 30, 2014

I got my flu shot early this winter. I know I did. My son got his also and we both agreed it was totally painless. We were prepared and we anticipated the dreaded winter illness with our armors on.

So far it's worked for him and I pray that continues. As for myself...well, I believe my luck may not be as solid as his. I have had a headache since Friday and awoke with an ear ache, sore throat, and nausea this morning. Thank goodness we had a snow day. I just do not think I can take a "sick day" from school with a clear conscious. We have missed so many days of school this year because of Mother Nature's desire to provide the first real winter we have had in a while. With any luck I will rise tomorrow with no residual effects of today's ickiness.That was two weeks ago.

Last week a flu of a different kind ravaged my body. This time the chills were accompanied by diarhea, fever, and nausea; as well as two nights of restless sleep and painful leg aches.

Unfortunately, MS doesn't always allow us to let go of little, everyday common illnesses. A common cold can assume the personality of a much more serious condition. Allergies attack with the vengeance of the flu. MS, like many chronic conditions, magnifies symptoms with the result of low immunities.

I am not a whiner, but I don't mind admitting that I'm feeling a bit sorry for myself today. I even cried a couple of times over the weekend. Yep, I gave into that self-indulgence after tripping up the steps with my arms full of groceries. It happened again when I lost my balance and fell over the coffee table and again when I slipped on the kitchen rug and landed on my back. Normally all in a day's work for me, but this constant lack of balance should have been a red flag since my ears were ringing and I even fell over while standing upright and not moving.

I really hate the unpredicabilty of this disease. I do not look forward to going out or visiting friends. I am becoming a hermit and can think of no other place I would rather be than within the walls of my own home. I'm even sometimes afraid to go to work and have entertaineed the idea of keeping extra underwear in my car just in case I have an "accident" while there. MS has taken away my independence, but I don't feel sorry for myself. I have been blessed with the intelligance to understand that this is where I am happy.
Post a Comment