Skip to main content

Happy Birthday to Me

Fifty-five years ago today God gave my parents a perfect little prize (yep, I'm selling it!). I was born on my paternal grandmother's birthday and spent most of my growing up years attempting (and failing miserably) to emulate that southern grace that demanded immediate attention. She was a lovely lady, and never without her perfectly applied coral or rose hued nail polish. Her shoes always matched her dress and her hair was never out of place. Gurney was the poster person of elegance.

Thirteen years ago any hope of growing old gracefully (as did my grandmother) was shot down without warning, nor the consideration of preparation. At that point my closet full of designer high heals joined in a chorus of "mwaa ha ha's" while I was crawling home from my last walk to the public library. (If you don't know my story, it can be read on my How Are You Dealing with the Winter Weather? post.) MS grounded me to the life of flat heals and securely fastened foot wear. With a stature of five foot, three inches, I sometimes miss my fun height-enhancing stilletos, but my legs and feet actually appreciate the wisdom of choice. That was the last "choice" that MS allowed me. (Of course, it was really not my choice, but I need to feed the ego of MS. Sometimes giving my disease a little false confidence makes me feel stronger as I spit in the face of such an unfair condition.)

I didn't plan to have MS. I also didn't plan to be married three times. I didn't plan to spend my entire life in West Virginia teaching school. I didn't plan to love camping or enjoying my new ukelele. I didn't plan on being a mother.

I DID plan in the following, even if it may not reflect the exact image I once had.

*I always wanted to be a published author.           check
*I knew that I would always be surrounded by books.              check
*I planned to graduate from college. (I just didn't plan on doing that 3 times!)      check
*I would always have a cat.                     check
*Travel abroad.                                   check
*Love what I do, whatever that is.         check

So, it is a Happy Birthday. I even got a Snow Day! (That would really be exciting if we hadn't had 20 of those already this winter:) This evening my wonderful husband, my fantastic son, and I will join my parents for a birthday dinner of my choosing: scrambled eggs, sausage, gravy, biscuits, and blueberry muffins. I also have a sneaking suspicion that there will be Dairy Queen ice crem cake, compliments of awesome husband. Maybe I can convince everyone to participate in a rousing game of something. Who could ask for anything better?

Take that, MS!

Happy birthday to me!

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Riding the MS broom

Do you ever feel like the ultimate witchy woman? That is actually a rhetorical question because I know you do. We all do whether we mean it or not. And guess what? We have a right to feel that way. Our brand of broom is a touch one to ride. That is why I truly believe that our supreme master, who ever/whatever that may be, doesn't throw us more than we can catch.

MSers (I read recently that this is an inappropriate way in which to refer to individuals with multiple sclerosis. The source of this judgement obliviously does not live with the disease. MS Warriors are far less offended by such a label than that.) are strong individuals who thrive on finding a purpose, a solution, a balance.

We are dependent on our co-pilot Common Sense. Care Givers are a beautiful addition to our lives, but many MSers (I did it again!) are not fortunate to have someone to clean our broom and dust off the daily spider webs that clutter the  cognitive mess of our brains. I learned that long before MS becam…

Yoga Burn gives new incentive to my morning routine.

I am not one much for online shopping indulgences, but a couple of weeks ago I allowed myself the rare treat of purchasing the Yoga Burn program advertised on Face Book. This morning I completed week one of the monthly scheduled routine and I even took time to meditate under the guidance of Yoga instructor Zoe Bray Cotton.

Laugh if you must, but I really, really, enjoyed the meditation exercise. I realize this is a solitary activity and I will never practice this in front of husband and/or son. 

I felt wonderful afterword, though. So at peace and relaxed. I always knew I was a Zen Goddess at heart.

What I really love about this program is that it "is a comprehensive online yoga course directed toward women only."  The older I get, the more I appreciate anything to do with "for women only". Weird, huh?

Zoe' voice is so very soft and inviting. As she leads me through my morning poses, I really feel as though she is my new morning bestie. Of course, I have only comple…

This Writer's Euphoric Journey

It is November and that means National Novel Writing Month. I participate every year. As always, I am behind on my writing goal for the month: WRITE 50,000 WORDS  IN 30 DAYS. 

With only two days to go, I still need 10,000 to finish. 

So...I will see you here again on Wednesday or at the end of my journey of 50,000 words. Until then, breathe.

Lisa