Skip to main content

Random rantings for a random story idea...

"Where are you? Why haven't I heard from you?" I knew the panic in my voice couldn't be masked, yet I assumed the brightest one I could. "I have called and called and you haven't returned any of my messages!"

I couldn't remember a time in our friendship when so much time had elasped between our conversations. Even when she left home to attend college or when my marriage took me to another state; we always found time to catch up or at least check in. It wasn't as if we were co-dependent upon one another; we just needed the other's presence to maintain balance.  When she married Jai, things changed, though. I chalked it up to newlywed-i-dus initially; but when my bestie ecame evasive about otherwise incidental things, I have to admit that I got a little jealous. Jai didn't approve of our friendship and didn't understand our connection. Juliette and I no longer discussed the best sellers that we consumed like some people binged on chocolate cake. Our weekly wine and cheese girls night was a thing of the past and we hadn't been to the mall in months. I was determined to wait it out and let the novelty of married life wear off. I was certain reality would land sooner or later.

So, when she told me that she and Jai were in the mountains at a well-known ski resort, my optimism soared. Mainly because I knew without a doubt that my friend had to be at the end of her rope. She hated snow. She didn't like being cold. And she had never shared my passion for this particular down hill activity, even t hough she had given it a try just to satisfy her best friend. So, I knew she was up for new experiences. But she had to be calling me for only one reason. She had to be totally miserable and in need of our sisterly connection.

"I'm fine, Bea, really. Jai just wanted a little time away. It's really beautiful here. In fact, I can't talk long. Jai and I are going ice skating shortly."

That's when I knew my pal was in trouble. That was our alarm phrase.

Juliette may have been ready to try new things, but there was one thing she totally detested. Juliette did NOT ice skate.
Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Riding the MS broom

Do you ever feel like the ultimate witchy woman? That is actually a rhetorical question because I know you do. We all do whether we mean it or not. And guess what? We have a right to feel that way. Our brand of broom is a touch one to ride. That is why I truly believe that our supreme master, who ever/whatever that may be, doesn't throw us more than we can catch.

MSers (I read recently that this is an inappropriate way in which to refer to individuals with multiple sclerosis. The source of this judgement obliviously does not live with the disease. MS Warriors are far less offended by such a label than that.) are strong individuals who thrive on finding a purpose, a solution, a balance.

We are dependent on our co-pilot Common Sense. Care Givers are a beautiful addition to our lives, but many MSers (I did it again!) are not fortunate to have someone to clean our broom and dust off the daily spider webs that clutter the  cognitive mess of our brains. I learned that long before MS becam…

Yoga Burn gives new incentive to my morning routine.

I am not one much for online shopping indulgences, but a couple of weeks ago I allowed myself the rare treat of purchasing the Yoga Burn program advertised on Face Book. This morning I completed week one of the monthly scheduled routine and I even took time to meditate under the guidance of Yoga instructor Zoe Bray Cotton.

Laugh if you must, but I really, really, enjoyed the meditation exercise. I realize this is a solitary activity and I will never practice this in front of husband and/or son. 

I felt wonderful afterword, though. So at peace and relaxed. I always knew I was a Zen Goddess at heart.

What I really love about this program is that it "is a comprehensive online yoga course directed toward women only."  The older I get, the more I appreciate anything to do with "for women only". Weird, huh?

Zoe' voice is so very soft and inviting. As she leads me through my morning poses, I really feel as though she is my new morning bestie. Of course, I have only comple…

This Writer's Euphoric Journey

It is November and that means National Novel Writing Month. I participate every year. As always, I am behind on my writing goal for the month: WRITE 50,000 WORDS  IN 30 DAYS. 

With only two days to go, I still need 10,000 to finish. 

So...I will see you here again on Wednesday or at the end of my journey of 50,000 words. Until then, breathe.

Lisa