Skip to main content

Abby got a make-over!

Recently I obtained total control of my first YA novel, Abby. With that came some busy-work to get it back in circulation. I think I am finally finished with that and she should soon be available on Amazon with a new look and a new price.

I have cartons of the original Abby in my basement and would love to share these with classroom teachers who think this this would make a good addition to their classroom library or ELA curriculum. Many WV teachers are faced with the added lesson plan of RTI and are in need of something extra to challenge their students. I have developed a curriculum planner for Abby that is included in my offer of 15 copies of the novel for $65.00. I will cover shipping and handling or will hand deliver if you are in Marion County, WV.

If you are not familiar with Abby, it is an easy read formatted as a journal and is appropriate for readers in grade 5-8.


Written by the teacher; edited by her students, Abby, is the Hallmark greeting card of young adult fiction.

Have you ever been the “new kid”? Five times in seven years? Relating to her diary as her only friend, Abigail Van Buren Masterson finally gets the opportunity to be part of a stable life, complete with grandparents and a neighborhood who knows her. Even if this unexpected gift includes being the target of the school bully, Head Cheerleader Sheila, and surrounded by community members with unpronounceable surnames, Abigail can finally experience a “normal” life. Or at least as normal as life gets when adjusting to her mother’s diagnosis of multiple sclerosis.

As a veteran eighth grade language arts teacher and book junky, as well as a newly diagnosed MS patient, the creation of Abby served not only a writing dream-come-true but allowed a teachable moment with the inclusion of my students as editors and advisors in the process. I believe that junior high school is the most pivotal period in our lives; that decades or centuries do not change the largess of adolescent drama. All children long for innocence, even while fighting to be recognized as adults. A 2012 Reader’s Favorite Finalist and 2013 Reader’s Favorite Honor book in YA fiction,  Abby is a coming of age tale that touches on the insecurities of adolescence and the emergence of adulthood.
I can't wait to share Abby with you and your classroom!

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Riding the MS broom

Do you ever feel like the ultimate witchy woman? That is actually a rhetorical question because I know you do. We all do whether we mean it or not. And guess what? We have a right to feel that way. Our brand of broom is a touch one to ride. That is why I truly believe that our supreme master, who ever/whatever that may be, doesn't throw us more than we can catch.

MSers (I read recently that this is an inappropriate way in which to refer to individuals with multiple sclerosis. The source of this judgement obliviously does not live with the disease. MS Warriors are far less offended by such a label than that.) are strong individuals who thrive on finding a purpose, a solution, a balance.

We are dependent on our co-pilot Common Sense. Care Givers are a beautiful addition to our lives, but many MSers (I did it again!) are not fortunate to have someone to clean our broom and dust off the daily spider webs that clutter the  cognitive mess of our brains. I learned that long before MS becam…

Yoga Burn gives new incentive to my morning routine.

I am not one much for online shopping indulgences, but a couple of weeks ago I allowed myself the rare treat of purchasing the Yoga Burn program advertised on Face Book. This morning I completed week one of the monthly scheduled routine and I even took time to meditate under the guidance of Yoga instructor Zoe Bray Cotton.

Laugh if you must, but I really, really, enjoyed the meditation exercise. I realize this is a solitary activity and I will never practice this in front of husband and/or son. 

I felt wonderful afterword, though. So at peace and relaxed. I always knew I was a Zen Goddess at heart.

What I really love about this program is that it "is a comprehensive online yoga course directed toward women only."  The older I get, the more I appreciate anything to do with "for women only". Weird, huh?

Zoe' voice is so very soft and inviting. As she leads me through my morning poses, I really feel as though she is my new morning bestie. Of course, I have only comple…

This Writer's Euphoric Journey

It is November and that means National Novel Writing Month. I participate every year. As always, I am behind on my writing goal for the month: WRITE 50,000 WORDS  IN 30 DAYS. 

With only two days to go, I still need 10,000 to finish. 

So...I will see you here again on Wednesday or at the end of my journey of 50,000 words. Until then, breathe.

Lisa