Google+ Followers

Thursday, August 1, 2013

How do you cope?

     Yesterday I posted about comfortable footwear for the MS drop foot and I must apologize. After reflecting on what I wrote, I am embarrassed by my flippant attitude and assumption that everyone can afford such tag brands as Nike or Teva. The brand name is not important in comfort issues because that is exactly what it is all about...comfort. Find something that works for you. These are just my finds and I am happy to share with you. I am hard on shoes so quality is essential to me since  I wear them until there is nothing left to put in the hand-me-down box.
     Which brings me to a wonderful idea! For years I have "traded" seasonal clothing with a good friend of mine. We play the "hand-me-down" game at the beginning of each season so that our wardrobes are refreshed and it's a cheap way to go shopping. It's fun, too, when old pieces return to be enjoyed again. This recycling game continues until the clothing just "wears out" and then we find someone in need of our discards.        This little fashion game is a way to cope with the female need for new clothes, but how do we cope with the ravages of MS?
        Here is my list:
1. Yoga
2. a good book
3. 800mg Ibuprofen for temporary relief of inflammation (only when needed)
4. daily dose of Zoloft for the emotional effects of MS
5. an afternoon nap
6. Drink lots of water.
7. Prioritize responsibilities.
8. Don't feel guilty for not being able to "do it all".
9. Find a welcoming church or place to meditate in whatever fashion you choose. A little bit of "worship" goes a long way. (I love my church family, but I am most at peace at my camp in Bemis. It's my "happy" place.)
10. Do not think of yourself as a "victim" (Thank you, Nick Irons for correcting me on that issue.), but embrace the fact that you are the face of MS. It is what it is.

What are some ways you cope? Let's share.

Don't forget to check out my young adult book Abby on www.Amazon.com or www.FrisenPress.com. Even though this is cataloged as a young adult read, the information is all-age appropriate.

Post a Comment