Skip to main content

21st Century Technology 101

Okay, so I wrote about limitations two days ago and only discovered this morning that my venting was not posted due to "technical difficulties". So, not only is physical activity a daunting task, but 21st century technology can cause us to stumble and fall just as succinctly.

I took a photo with my phone that I want to share as evidence of my summer challenge (the monster flight of steps separating me from my place of work that must be mastered in order to walk to that destination) and for some reason have forgotten how to download it on my computer. I'm just drawing a complete blank and I don't' know whether to blame it on my memory or technology:)

Anyway, I'm sure it will come to me when I least expect it...while in the shower...at 3AM...during a walk...Y'know, sometime when writing it down isn't feasible.

But I did accomplish something today and I want to share it here. I have two book signings coming up and after two years of trying to get some ink time in our local newspaper, I think it might happen.

Here is my press release:

Local author will be at the 2013 Monongah Fest August 17 and from 9:00AM to noon at Life Methodist Church on August 18.
Lisa A. McCombs is a veteran teacher of 30 years and the author of 2012 Readers Favorite award winning Abby, the story of seventh grade Abigail Van Buren Masterson who has attended five schools in seven years before her widowed mother is diagnosed Multiple Sclerosis, forcing Abigail into yet another school in Monongah, West Virginia. Maybe this move will be the last one and Abigail can finally call this place “home”. She gladly embraces the bullying tactics of Head Cheerleader Sheila if that means being embraced by the security of relatives she never knew existed. As her mother’s MS symptoms take on a frightening reality, Abigail turns her own fears into a class research project that helps her realize society’s unfair treatment of individuals with diversities.

Abigail exhibits the vulnerability of youth while writing to her diary, the most constant friend she has ever known, until now.
Praised by the late Dear Abby as “delightful”,  Abby is the first in a trilogy of diary-formatted novels that chronicle Abigail Van Buren Masterson through junior high school and high school. McCombs brings awareness not only to the ramifications of MS but the issues of bullying, family, spiritual awakening, first love, and death.

“This age is the most pivotal time in an individual’s life,” McCombs says of the junior high years. “God doesn’t throw us more than we can catch, but they don’t know that yet.” It is her goal to provide an “easy-read” that lets young people know that they are not alone in their journey.

McCombs will be at the Monongah Fire Department with fellow author Linda Stevenski during the August 17 Monongah Fest and will be signing her books again at Life Methodist Church at 1564 Mary Lou Retton Drive from 9AM to noon on August 18. Abby, Raspberry Beret, and Opening Pandora’s Box:The Conclusion can be found The Artisan’s Shop on Fairmont Avenue, Kerri’s Korner Bookstore in East Fairmont, on Amazon.com and at Barnes and Noble, as well as contacting the author.

Lisa A. McCombs
hummingbirdo2000@yahoo.com
lisa-mccombs.blogspot.com
Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Riding the MS broom

Do you ever feel like the ultimate witchy woman? That is actually a rhetorical question because I know you do. We all do whether we mean it or not. And guess what? We have a right to feel that way. Our brand of broom is a touch one to ride. That is why I truly believe that our supreme master, who ever/whatever that may be, doesn't throw us more than we can catch.

MSers (I read recently that this is an inappropriate way in which to refer to individuals with multiple sclerosis. The source of this judgement obliviously does not live with the disease. MS Warriors are far less offended by such a label than that.) are strong individuals who thrive on finding a purpose, a solution, a balance.

We are dependent on our co-pilot Common Sense. Care Givers are a beautiful addition to our lives, but many MSers (I did it again!) are not fortunate to have someone to clean our broom and dust off the daily spider webs that clutter the  cognitive mess of our brains. I learned that long before MS becam…

Yoga Burn gives new incentive to my morning routine.

I am not one much for online shopping indulgences, but a couple of weeks ago I allowed myself the rare treat of purchasing the Yoga Burn program advertised on Face Book. This morning I completed week one of the monthly scheduled routine and I even took time to meditate under the guidance of Yoga instructor Zoe Bray Cotton.

Laugh if you must, but I really, really, enjoyed the meditation exercise. I realize this is a solitary activity and I will never practice this in front of husband and/or son. 

I felt wonderful afterword, though. So at peace and relaxed. I always knew I was a Zen Goddess at heart.

What I really love about this program is that it "is a comprehensive online yoga course directed toward women only."  The older I get, the more I appreciate anything to do with "for women only". Weird, huh?

Zoe' voice is so very soft and inviting. As she leads me through my morning poses, I really feel as though she is my new morning bestie. Of course, I have only comple…

This Writer's Euphoric Journey

It is November and that means National Novel Writing Month. I participate every year. As always, I am behind on my writing goal for the month: WRITE 50,000 WORDS  IN 30 DAYS. 

With only two days to go, I still need 10,000 to finish. 

So...I will see you here again on Wednesday or at the end of my journey of 50,000 words. Until then, breathe.

Lisa