Google+ Followers

Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Take that, MS!

Does having an incurable disease make me less of a person or does it just give me a "do or die" perspective? Now, granted, I will not die from MS (no one actually does), but the effects of my disease could be a contributing factor in my inevitable demise. MS does drastically limit what I can and cannot accomplish during any given day, but it hasn't immobilized my mind just yet.
So...on our family vacation this year (just a few weeks ago in lovely Bemis, WV) my son, husband, youngest niece and I did something that I tucked away in my basket list.

We ZIP LINED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We are now official ZIPPERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It was awesome. It was liberating. It was a bit dangerous. It was daring. It was extreme. It was better than any amusement park ride.

And it was totally "not me". But I loved it.

Although the climb to the departure point was a challenge and I could see the look of concern on the faces of those folks in charge, I made it. I left my cane on the ground and allowed myself to be strapped and harnessed high above the ground. I didn't need to concentrate on putting one foot in front of the other. I was flying!

Of course when my feet finally met the ground once again it was with shaky legs that I celebrated my victory. The shaky legs were a result of adrenalin, not MS. With my can safely returned (okay, reality bites) my family of Zippers and I casually left the scene of our accomplishment to further enjoy the majesty of the mountains of West Virginia via automobile:)
Post a Comment