Google+ Followers

Friday, June 7, 2013

My MS. Is it age or is it MS?

Not long ago, a colleague of mine suggested that it would be great for me to write about my relationship with multiple sclerosis. At first I thought that was a silly idea. Who wants to read about someone else's disease? Since then I have had the privilege of reading several personal experiences with life altering conditions and have found them extremely interesting, inspiring and helpful. So, here is my first installment in what I plan to write here over the summer. We'll see if it draws a crowd or if it simply serves to help me vent:)
*********************************************************************************
    So... this morning I woke up with heavy, dark pouches under my eyes. I went to bed before 11 PM, I was not partying, I did my daily exercise and even added an extra ten minutes of yoga. I've been a good girl lately. Low fat diet (okay, I did put cheese on my burger last night...but I did not snack). My weight is below 130 and my BMI averages at 22. Not bad for a 53 year old.
     But I look in the mirror and I see...a 53 year old woman with bruises under her eyes and an aching jaw from fiercely grinding my teeth all night.
     So...is this my age or is it my MS?
     Because this is my MS.
     Multiple Sclerosis is a customized disease. Every victim is unique.  Symptoms might be similar but reactions vary.  I have decided that our attitude towards our disease is most likely the MOST IMPORTANT ingredient to living with the mystery of MS.
     What is the difference between aging and MS?
     Our bodies progress with age. Our memories diminish, vision becomes skewed, hearing dims, flexibility stiffens, and reaction time lengthens.
      MS has dominated and defined these changes in my body since my diagnosis in 2001.
******************************************************
I promise I will write more tomorrow. I am actually rather excited to talk about My MS.

If you are interested in reading more about dealing with MS from a teen age point of view, check out my YA series on Amazon.com. Titles: Abby, Raspberry Beret, and Opening Pandora's Box.
     
Post a Comment