Google+ Followers

Tuesday, January 15, 2013

It's just not fair...

I am and never have been attracted to the use of narcotics for amusement, but I could very easily become a Prednisone junkie. Steroids are the golden moment for MS victims; and on Sunday I was given a high dosage of said drug to jump-start my flu recovery. An hour later the heavens opened up and life was good again. My feet fell in perfect step; my hands actually grasped items they reached for; my annoying head flutter ceased. For two days I remembered what it was like to be near normal again.
...and then I woke up this morning with an uneven walking gait, a numb left hand, and a bobble head reflected in the mirror.

I actually felt like an addict as I reached for my bottle of steroids for round two. How long would it take to regain that euphoria of Sunday afternoon? How long will that settled state of mind and body last this time? I get to consume these lovely little tablets, twice a day for five days; supposedly to help combat the flu. But I know, and everyone out there with a neurological condition as well, that I  could contend with a little ol' bout of the flu if that's what it takes to be able to walk again.

Steroids rule....why can't the medical profession find a safe way to utilize this drug to help MS folks feel normal? This is the 21st century....surely, there must be a way to make steroid use safe.

I love the way I feel with this drug pumping away in my system; but I also know in five days my happiness will crash when I I can't life my right leg high enough off the floor to not trip on that infintessimal speck of dust that tripped my progress. OH, well....At least I have today, stuffy nose and all.

...but I can walk...
Post a Comment