Skip to main content

correspondence

Hello Lisa,
 
I bought a copy of your book from you at Tamarack a few weeks ago.  I actually specifically went to Tamarack to get a signed copy because being supportive of West Virginia authors is becoming sort of a hobby of mine.  I am in graduate school at the moment and with a 13-year old and a 6-year old, I don't have a lot of free time, but I started reading "Abby" yesterday and finished it this evening.  I really liked your book--it had many levels to it and I really enjoyed it.  I hope that as a teacher you see such deep thought going on with some of your students as what Abby's letters revealed.  My 13-year old daughter is miserable in middle school and has been experiencing some of what you described between Abby and Sheila.  I would like to think there are more kids like Abby than like Sheila. 
 
This sort of book would be exactly what I would have read at about Abby's age;  I saw a lot of myself in what Abby wrote in her letters. I am 35 and have been writing to my pen pal (from Australia) since I was 12.  And like Abby said, there is something special about pen and paper letters than email.
 
Anyway, I enjoyed your book very much and will be looking for the sequel when it comes out.  If I can find you on Facebook, I will send a friend request so if you post something about the sequel, I can contact you for a signed copy.  ( I am not a Facebook pro--I mainly keep maintain a presence because I have a teenager.)  In the meantime, I am going to try to get my daughter interested in your book.  She is a reader also, but I have a hard time getting her away from the fantasy stuff--Twilight, Warriors, Percy Jackson, etc.
 
Oh, one other thing---I think the message you brought about MS was very good.  I don't know anyone with MS, but I have known several with neurological disorders like Lupus, fibromyalgia, etc.  Your book reminded me of a book that I read to my kids not long ago about a child with a sister with autism.  The title was "Al Capone Does My Shirts" and was meaningful like your book.
 
I am a volunteer for Read Aloud West Virginia--last year I read to 2nd and 3rd graders a couple of times per month on my lunch hour.  I have asked for placement in a 1st and a 5th grade class this year.  With older kids, I like to read a chapter or two to get them interested in a book and then refer them to the library to get the book (so maybe they will bump into other books that interest them as well).  I think your book would be a good selection to do that with if I get to read in a fifth grade class since they will be getting ready for the transition to middle school.  I can refer them to Tamarack which is close to the school I am reading in this year.  I will also share with my colleagues at the next Raleigh County Read Aloud board meeting.
 
Thanks for a couple of evenings of interesting reading.  Best of luck to you with your book sales!
 
God Bless,
 
Terri F. Biley
 


Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Riding the MS broom

Do you ever feel like the ultimate witchy woman? That is actually a rhetorical question because I know you do. We all do whether we mean it or not. And guess what? We have a right to feel that way. Our brand of broom is a touch one to ride. That is why I truly believe that our supreme master, who ever/whatever that may be, doesn't throw us more than we can catch.

MSers (I read recently that this is an inappropriate way in which to refer to individuals with multiple sclerosis. The source of this judgement obliviously does not live with the disease. MS Warriors are far less offended by such a label than that.) are strong individuals who thrive on finding a purpose, a solution, a balance.

We are dependent on our co-pilot Common Sense. Care Givers are a beautiful addition to our lives, but many MSers (I did it again!) are not fortunate to have someone to clean our broom and dust off the daily spider webs that clutter the  cognitive mess of our brains. I learned that long before MS becam…

Yoga Burn gives new incentive to my morning routine.

I am not one much for online shopping indulgences, but a couple of weeks ago I allowed myself the rare treat of purchasing the Yoga Burn program advertised on Face Book. This morning I completed week one of the monthly scheduled routine and I even took time to meditate under the guidance of Yoga instructor Zoe Bray Cotton.

Laugh if you must, but I really, really, enjoyed the meditation exercise. I realize this is a solitary activity and I will never practice this in front of husband and/or son. 

I felt wonderful afterword, though. So at peace and relaxed. I always knew I was a Zen Goddess at heart.

What I really love about this program is that it "is a comprehensive online yoga course directed toward women only."  The older I get, the more I appreciate anything to do with "for women only". Weird, huh?

Zoe' voice is so very soft and inviting. As she leads me through my morning poses, I really feel as though she is my new morning bestie. Of course, I have only comple…

This Writer's Euphoric Journey

It is November and that means National Novel Writing Month. I participate every year. As always, I am behind on my writing goal for the month: WRITE 50,000 WORDS  IN 30 DAYS. 

With only two days to go, I still need 10,000 to finish. 

So...I will see you here again on Wednesday or at the end of my journey of 50,000 words. Until then, breathe.

Lisa